Chapter 6: 11.13.2 Love Hurts

Cassandra and Sam sat at the table across from each other, Sam glaring daggers at Cassandra as they waited for Dean to get back. She flipped to the next page in her book before looking up. The blonde tilted her head to the side and rolled her eyes. "You're ridiculous."

"Why?"

"Because we're working a case. Focus. People are dying. We can deal with our personal issues later."

"You're basically the Devil. You're dangerous."

Cassandra looked back down at the book. "I don't have horns and a pointy tail," she muttered distractedly.

"You're just as clever as the Devil and twice as pretty."

Cassandra smirked and looked up. "Aww, you think I'm pretty. Don't let Dean know. He might get jealous."

Sam rolled his eyes and opened his mouth to reply when the door opened and Dean stepped inside.

"Hey," he greeted. "Find anything?"

"No," Cassandra said. "You?"

Dean shook his head. A frantic knocking on the door grabbed all of their attention and Dean furrowed his eyebrows, opening the door to reveal a distraught Melissa. "Hey there."

Melissa scrambled into the room, panting, and locked and chained the door.

Dean glanced over at Sam and Cassandra before looking back to the brunette. "Everything okay?"

"No. Dan tried to kill me," Melissa replied as she peeked out the curtains.

Cassandra's lips parted in thought before she glanced over at Melissa. "Dan, 'your dead husband Dan?'" the Nephilim questioned.

Melissa nodded and turned to her as she got up, pressing her lips in a thin line. She looked at each Hunter before focusing her gaze on Dean. "You told me to come to you if anything strange or out of the ordinary happened? Well, it did. And I think it's all my fault."

"Okay, why don't you come sit down? C'mon," Dean suggested, placing a hand on her shoulder and leading her to the chair that Cassandra was just in.

The blonde quickly grabbed the book and closed it, tossing it to the bed. She hadn't found anything, but the last thing they needed was for Melissa to panic even more. She was already on the verge of hysteria as it was.

"I swear. I really did love Dan. Maybe a little too much," Melissa told Sam. "I just...I wanted him to love me back. So I got some advice and I confided in my hairdresser about the affair."

"Wait, women actually do that?" Dean inquired, raising his eyebrows. He thought it was just something that happened in movies and TV shows. He looked to Cassandra for an answer, earning a shrug. But a pointed glare from Sam brought him back to focus on the situation at hand.

"And she told me there was a way to get him back. I knew she, uh, dabbled in stuff."

"Wait a second. What kind of stuff are you talking about here?" Cassandra asked, leaning on the table between Sam and Melissa.

Melissa glanced up at Cassandra. She could clearly see the panic in the brunette's eyes and her heart went out to her. She had just lost her husband. Who wouldn't feel sorry?

"She calls herself a, uh, white witch. Listen I don't know if you believe in that sort of thing. I usually don't, but I was desperate," Melissa explained.

"And let me guess. She gave you a spell," Dean said, rolling his eyes and glancing over to Cassandra who shook her head.

"Yes," the brunette replied with a nod. "A return to love spell. All I had to do was chant it and seal it with a kiss. I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I swear. I just wanted my husband back." Melissa's voice cracked and she ducked her head down, clenching her eyes shut as she fought back the tears.