Chapter 11: Remember When

Dean pushed himself from the pew and raced over to Cassandra's side, dropping down onto his knees and turning her onto her back as he pulled her into his lap. "Cassy?" Dean choked, brushing a lock of hair from her face.

She showed no response.

"Cassy, wake up. I don't care if you're evil and playing a game, you can't be dead. It's not supposed to end like this." He shook her slightly and his voice cracked as he pleaded, "Princess, wake up!" Dean pressed two fingers to the side of her neck, breathing in relief when he felt a faint pulse. "Sammy, she's alive but she's weak." Dean looked up. "Call an ambulance."

"Dean, she has Grace. What would happen?"

He shook his head as a stray tear slipped down his cheek. "She's been hospitalized before with Grace. What's the difference? Call a friggin' ambulance!"

Not bothering to argue with his brother, Sam obliged and pulled out his phone.

Dean continued to try and wake the blonde up, constantly checking her pulse, but she never showed any sign of consciousness. It felt like an eternity before they heard sirens, and an eternity in Hell by the time the paramedics raced in.

Their words seemed to fall on deaf ears as they questioned Dean, so Sam answered instead.

"What's her name?" one inquired, sliding her onto the backboard after wrapping a brace around her neck.

"Cassandra. Her name is Cassandra Moore. Uh, she's thirty-three and I don't know of any major allergies to medication. She used to have to take a lot so I think she'd be okay," Sam explained. He helped the paramedic load the board holding Cassandra onto the stretcher, and he gently pulled Dean up from the floor to follow them.

"What happened?"

"I don't know. We found her here after she called. No one else was in the building," the younger Winchester lied smoothly.

The paramedics started to load her into the ambulance and Dean followed, snapping out of his shock once they tried to stop him. "Fiancé. I'm her fiancé," he said. "Please, I have to be with her." He glanced over to Sam. "Sammy, take the car and meet us at the hospital." He tossed his little brother his keys without another word right before the doors to the ambulance slammed shut.

Reluctantly, Dean stayed out of the way so that the paramedic could do his job. He watched as they poked her with needles and connected her to a machine that registered her weak heart rate.

Dean reached forward and gently grabbed onto her hand, sniffling. "Baby, you gotta wake up," he whispered.  "You're strong. You've survived everything. You can't give up now. You gotta fight. You hear me? I need you to fight. Fight, Princess, for me. You aren't allowed to join Jess just yet."

The paramedic glanced over to the Hunter with sorrowful eyes once he could do no more but wait until they arrived at the hospital.

Dean rested his forehead on hers and closed his eyes. "Amara couldn't have taken all of your Grace. If you flatline, you better shoot up gasping for breath the minute we enter that hospital. You're the Savior, remember? You're my Savior."

Dean had followed the paramedics and nurses into the hospital as far as they'd allow until he was cut off by a short, stubby nurse in horrid purple scrubs. She pushed Dean back and told him to go wait in the waiting room, but Dean refused to listen. He kept his gaze on the retreating stretcher until Cassandra disappeared from sight and a pair of familiar hands were yanking him back. He shook his head and turned to Sam with tear-filled eyes.

"Dean. Dean, listen to me," Sam demanded. "Cassy's gonna be fine. Amara seemed to like her. Maybe she left her human, okay? Amara wants to keep you content, right? Your connection draws her to you. She knows that you love Cassandra and that you aren't happy without her. Maybe she was giving you what you wanted."