Chapter 8: Nothing is what it seems

Lebanon, Kansas

It was around two in the morning when Cassandra had snuck out of the Bunker and found her way to the closest bar. She had needed a hard drink that night and whatever the boys had back at the Bunker just wasn't strong enough to cloud her mind.

Memories of the Cage kept flooding her mind and no matter what she did she couldn't get them to go away. She had tried everything. She talked with Sam, studied up on lore, searched for Amara, and even slept with Dean as an attempt at any type of distraction. None of them lasted very long, so she decided to search for the closest bar where she could just lose herself for one night. They hadn't found anything on Amara, so what would it hurt?

"Another?" the bartender asked.

Cassandra looked up and met his gaze, nodding with a small smile. "Yeah, thanks." She pushed the glass towards him.

"So I've seen you with Sam and Dean a lot lately. How do you know them?" he asked as he poured her drink. He slid it back across the bartop towards her, raising his eyebrows in curiosity.

The Nephilim brought the glass to her lips. "Dean's my boyfriend." She took a sip and let her eyes flutter closed, hoping that the burning sensation in her throat would linger longer than the last. It really hadn't.

The bartender chuckled. "Dean has a girlfriend?" He shook his head. "I have to admit; I can't really see that. Those boys have been coming here for a couple years now and sometimes Dean will leave with different women." He propped his elbow on his side of the bartop and leaned forward with an amused smile on his lips. "What makes you so special?"

Cassandra licked her painted lips and nodded, setting the glass down. "We were together around six years ago. The relationship wasn't long, but it was stronger than Hell. A lot of shit went down and I had to leave. We only recently reconnected," she explained. Cassandra cocked her head to the side. "I never got your name."

"Donnie."

"Cassandra," the blonde returned.

"So, Dean's got himself a girl. Never thought I'd see the day. No wonder he and Sam have been leaving together with you a lot lately. I just thought you became a regular and y'all parted ways outside."

Cassandra arched a single eyebrow at Donnie. "I'm insulted," she teased. The taunting tone was clear and Donnie knew not to take it to heart. She seemed to have the same sense of humor Dean did. "Tell me, Donnie; how often does Dean get wasted?" The question was genuine, worry written across her face.

Donnie shrugged. "Last year he was pretty bad. I started to worry for the guy. I mean, I see my fair share of regular drunks around here, but there's something about Dean. I thought for sure that he'd end up with liver failure or dead in a ditch, but he's been better recently." Donnie smiled at the blonde. "Maybe it was you coming back."

"Maybe," she agreed.

Donnie left to go serve another customer, leaving Cassandra alone with her liquor. She nursed the rest of her drink, dragging her finger over the rim of the glass as she rolled her lower lip between her teeth in thought. If Dean had suddenly changed upon her return then she couldn't imagine what he would be like once he found out her true intentions. Sam was right; she could be his breaking point.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing sitting alone in a place like this?" a deep voice from her right slurred.

Cassandra's finger stopped and she stared down at her glass. "I'd keep on moving, buddy," she warned, curling her fingers around the glass and bringing it to her lips.

"Come on, Sweetheart."

Shivers raced down her spine at the nickname and she forced a smile on her lips, lifting her head and turning to see a man just a little older than Sam, but younger than Dean, smirking at her. He was good looking, she'd give him that. But not only was he not her type, she was taken.