Chapter 4

Merlin

Two days later

"We, my friends, are going hunting." Arthur announced sitting on the table.

"Hunting?" Alec asked. I shook my head.

"Arthur get down."

"We'll catch some rabbits, maybe a deer. I giggled that its the best time of the year to hunt, and its still legal."

"It's google, not giggle. Will you get off the table, we eat there."

"Merlin, please." I raised my eyebrow, eyes glowing gold, scoot the table back out from under him and he fell on his bum. "...Ow"

Alec and I snickered when the front door swung open with so much force it put a hole in the wall. We all jumped from the sudden bang. Arthur stood, walking to the door and peaking out before I could tell him not to. The screen door on the outside threw itself closed hitting him square in the nose.

"Agh. Damn!" He put his fingers to his nostrils blood pouring onto his hand. "I think it broke my nose!" Alec and I looked to each other. It had to me the same thing that slammed all the doors open when we first got here. I could feel its evil. Goosebumps traveled up my arm behind my neck. Not a word came out of my mouth before pressure enclosed around my neck blocking all air from escaping. I tried to peel whatever was there off but nothing was working. I couldn't speak so I could do any major spells. "Merlin!" Arthur ran to me and Alec ran to the basement for maybe a book to help my situation. My vision began to blur and my head began to bob when the invisible hand released my throat. I inhaled probably the hardest I've ever inhaled before.

"Merlin... Your neck." I stood, leaning on Arthur on my way to the bathroom mirror. A purpling handprint bruise was settling around my neck, slight yellow around the edges. "What was it? Can you speak?"

I attempted and shook my head 'No' for all that came put was a squeaky wheeze. He ran out for a moment and came back with a paper and pen.

Don't know what it was but it's evil. We might have to hide at the lake.

He read. "Why the lake?"

Nothing can get to it without me.

Alec came into the bathroom with some recognized potions and water. "It won't taste so nice." I downed the both drinks in a heartbeat. Arthur watched me carefully for the next few minutes as the potion worked its magic on my throat.

"The swellings gone down, you should be able to speak with only minor pains."

"Great." I finally spoke. Alec was right. Still some pain. I coughed. "I want you to pack only necessary things and food. Blankets, some clothes, shampoo. We'll only be gone until we find out a way to get rid of whatever is in here." I look to Alec. "Bring all the books."

After Arthur cleaned his face and I corrected his nose we set off for the lake with our sleeping bags stuffed with only the most needed things. I let them in through the tree quickly and made sure nothing was following. I could feel eyes on us. It was definitely put there. Somewhere. Alec showed Arthur how to set up the modern tents while I gathered wood and readied the fire for when it got dark. We stayed just under the trees near to the shoreline just awaiting dusk to fall.
I skipped rocks from my boulder alone. I could shape them to the best skipping shape and watch them glide across the surface of the water with ease. I stared out to the island pondering when a familiar voice rang in my ears.

"Hello..." I look up at Arthur, a grin spreading his lips.

"Hello." He sits down putting an arm around my shoulders.

"I remember being here."

"My last memory of this lake before you came back is not a good one. I let you off here. To float in a boat while I stand there like an idiot."

"... I did not wish for that to happen. I remember you being the last thing, the last person, I saw. 'Thank you'. I said 'Thank you' and now I realize I should've said 'I love you'."

I state into his eyes. "You didn't know then. You're heart was still Guinevere's."

"I believe it could've been both of you who held my heart. I had no say in who ruled me."

"I suppose that could be true as well." I picked up a normal looking rock and shaped it into a flat disk. I place it in Arthur's palm. "Toss it. Its fun." He did so and we watch the stone skip over and over before sinking into the depths of the lake. The sun had completely hidden itself behind the mountains leaving a deep blue and purple across the sky.
I rest my head on Arthur's shoulder closing my eyes and listen to his heart beating rapidly.

"We should go to to bed."

"Mmhm." He hummed.

Next day

"Mer-lin. Merlin. Wake up you little-"

"One more word and there will be consequences." I threatened.

"-prat." I pushed him out of the tent and with a swift flick of my wrist I dumped the cold lake water onto his head. "Aah! Merlin!"

I checked my watch. "It's not even nine o'clock, clotpole, and you decide to wake me up. Plus you used my word."

"I missed you." He whined taking off his shirt and ringing it out. I couldn't help but smile at him. I had noticed Alec's tent zipper was open and him not inside.

"Where's Alec?"

"He just went out to piss before I woke you."

"How long ago?"

"Literally seconds." He shakes his shirt and puts it back on. I stepped out of the tent and stretched. "He took a book and that roll of paper with him though."

"Of course." I kissed Arthur's forehead before stepping off to do my own business. There was a scream not too far from camp that sounded like Alec. I zipped my pants and went back to Arthur.

"You heard that?"

"Scream? Yes." Branches crunched off to our left and an animalistic grunt came from the same direction. Not five seconds later a large reddish brown bear comes running out. "Go go go!" Arthur yells and we both take off down the beach away from the bear.