Chapter 10

Merlin

"We've had some... Complications on our way back."

"What did you do? Get arrested?" Alec asked as he and I switched seats of the car.

"Not exactly, we got pulled aside because Arthur forgot to take off his belt." I laughed. "I'm surprised he can still wear one."

"Hey!"

I drove us to the hotel seeing Mela and Xandre had left when they scheduled. I set the eggs in separate spaces of Alec's bed and waited for something to come to me. It could've been ten minutes. Could've been an hour that we stood. But it was only a mere minute. "Glaedryus." The name was easily said. The green egg moved, a cracking sound coming from it. Arthur stood beside me leaning forward on the bed. A small grassy green head punctured through a hole in the side letting out a squeak as he saw Arthur.

"It's cute!" Arthur picked the hatchling from his shell remnants. "How could anyone hate these creatures."

"Uther hated their magic, others wanted their scales for trade. There are many reasons why dragons have become endangered. You father among them."

"Well I am not my father and this little one will be a just creature. Won't you Glaedryus." He muttered to the hyper baby. I turn to Alec who held the mud looking egg in his hands.

"Arethcarn..." I whispered under my breath. The egg cracked in his hands and he shrieked.

"Merlin!" I chuckled as he set it down, his face absolutely hilarious. There was a high pitch screech from the egg and it rolled onto the floor, greyish brown wings burst the egg apart and the younger dragon shook the slime off of itself. "How- did you-" Alec glared. "You jerk."

I smiled and looked to Arthur, him still babbling to Glaedryus. Arethcarn waddled around me squawking and rubbing against my leg. "It seems we have very lovable hatchlings."

"I love them." Arthur said. "We have to keep them around."

"Always, Arthur. They'll be like, stepchildren, of some sort. Also, I have no intention on giving any of the three to Flarehshag even if she assumes she's capable of raising another of her kind I don't think she is fit. The spirit that haunts us lingers around her like stink on shit." As I said that the bathroom door slams shut like someone or something was angry at my words. I gathered the dragons and wrapped them in one of Alec's blankets.

"Where are you going?" Alec asked as I carried them to mine and Arthur's room.

"To talk to someone. The next egg. I have to hurry for the spirit has been following us and is stronger every time I notice it." I turn to Arthur. "Would you mind stepping out for just a moment? I'm going to... go into a trance. I get a little weird." I close the two out of the room and sit criss cross in the bed. The chittering of the dragons playing lulls me into my state of being. Calm. Quiet. I heard the faint buzzing and quickly opened my eyes. The room was black and empty. All was gone but an old friend I haven't seen in a very long time.

"Thaddeus?" He turned. It was him. The same scraggly stubble and chopped, greying brown hair. "Oh my god. Thaddeus!" I hug him and he stumbled back.

"I've been trying to get your attention for weeks, Merlin! There is an urgent matter at hand and it has to do with Morgana."

"Tell me."

"She's working with the red dragon. They're trying to take over. Everything. The world. With the new dragons you've found she can. I know where the last dragon egg is." He looked back. "Go to the Yu Garden in Shanghai. It is buried under a Maidenhair tree. You must go now. She's coming." He pushes me back. The silhouette of Morgana and Thaddeus's frightened face is the last thing of that realm I see. I jolt off the bed and pull Arthur into the room from outside.

"You might not like this but we need to take another flight. It's highly important."

He frowns. "What's happened?"

"Morgana's after one of the dragons. She means to take over the world."

The flight was longer than I anticipated. Arthur was in the bathroom half the time in and out. I still feel terrible about leaving Alec with the wild hatchlings. Glaedryus almost didn't let Arthur leave the room. Arthur was very impatient with how long it took to even get a reservation into a hotel near the garden let alone drive there. I bought us two disposable cameras for our tour of the Yuyuan Garden and tickets for the subway line 10 which leads us strait to the garden. I then bought our way inside.
Arthur was excited. As was I. I hadn't been to this garden, but I remember traveling China before it was finished.

"Arthur look for two trees by the Wanhua Chamber. The taller is the one we need. Maidenhair tree. Remember."

"I will..."

It wasn't long before we made of to the Wanhua Chamber. The tree was huge. I could feel the egg. It was deep under the tree. The roots have pushed it down. The egg felt strong. Extremely strong. "Arthur. Take my hand and don't let go."

He didn't even question me. I yelled out a spell stopping all the people in the perimeter of the garden, besides Arthur and I, from moving or even hearing and seeing what we were about to do.

"The ground here is colder than London. I will have to pull the entire tree out by its roots. When I say I want to grab the egg and yell for me to drop the tree back in its place. Got it."

"Ready as I'll, ever be." My mouth spoke the spell smoothly. The tree cracked and groaned as it lifted into the air. Roots snapped and branches fell around us. The tree was heavier than anything I've lifted in a longtime.

"Now!" Arthur jumped into the gaping hole of earth, and set not one egg, but two eggs onto the grass before climbing from the hole grabbing them and shuffling away. He yelled for me to place then trees down. I did so, attempting not to male an even bigger mess to the garden. I rushed to Arthur as he holds the two eggs in his hands.

"Why two? She said only one."

"I believe that was a lie, my love." I took the different colored eggs from Arthur placing them gently in my scarf and left the garden. "Oh! I almost forgot." I released the people in the garden back to their recent state and we set off for London once more.

We're getting close to the end, my friends...