Chapter 7

Short chapter beware

Merlin

The morning after was when we left. I stared into the mirror at my stubble that continues to grow. With Arthur back I should be aging without magic now. I began packing as soon as I got out of bed which wasn't long ago, and was finished when I heard Alec fall out of his bed. Arthur was up, thanks to me, sitting quietly with tea still waking up. Soon they were both shuffling around in and out of the cottage.

"You might need a change of clothes and a blanket. Its a cold ride this time of year."

I had to stop several times for Arthur. His car sickness was better. He wasn't vomiting every drive anymore but he was still dizzy.
I hadn't been to London in years. I'm not a fan of big cities. I had gone to America in the late 70's to travel to Brazil where I had gotten twin apprentices, Mela and Xandre. We went back to America to California for the next 20 years until they went back to their home. Not too many years later I became acquainted with Alec at a library where I was seeing my favorite author of the 21st century signing books. Alec was only 20.
My train of thought was broken by Alec gasping and pointing out the window.

"Is that- that's-"

"London? Yes." I took Arthur's hand as he slept, him moving slightly. I stared to the city. Where am I to begin?

"We should go to all the oldest places." Alec suggested.

"Do you know how much of this city is old? Nothing here was built before I was born anyway."

"What about this?" Arthur pointed to a large park on the map. "Lots of land, no buildings you might have to destroy."

I look down at the map, his words sinking in. I turn to him with a grin. "I would never have thought of that."

We started at the larger parks ranging slowly to the smaller of them. It was getting dark and we were almost to the last of them. I sighed thinking we were never going to find the egg. Arthur in a swing by the playground hardly moving. I walked to him and sat in the other.

"... You want to see a non magic trick I learned from a few kids while back?"

He smiled. "Sure." I moved to sit sideways, a leg on either side.

"Watch." I place my hands on one chain and swing forward and back like it was a horse. "You try." He did as I did, swinging towards me and away and back.

"Just like a horse." He laughed puling me from my swing into his arms.

"Just like a horse." I look behind Arthur to a lone construction site, the fences put up and no workers to be seen. I was pulled to it. The egg... "The egg!" I yell pulling back from Arthur, scaring him. He followed my sprint to the site of rubble. I encanted the fences open and slipped onside. I followed the feeling on my chest to the right of the area, Arthur right behind me. Its here somewhere..." I looked around. "Shovel." Arthur grabbed two and helped alongside me.

"What will you do once you have the hatchlings?" Arthur asked.

"I... Uhm- Raise it. I don't trust Flarehshag not to do wrong." It took almost an hour with the hardening mud until I saw the slightest bit of smooth mossy green shell poke through the dirt. I used my hands to dig the rest and pried the egg from the grip of the ground. The sound of a bulldozer echoed the empty lot. I hid the egg in my scarf, Arthur helping me up and we ran back to the car through the shadows. Alec stood with boxes of food by the trunk.

"Where have you guys been?"

"We have the egg." Arthur spoke for me. "We should leave." I started the car and drove off before anyone could spot us leaving. Alec used my money renting two hotel rooms for the night giving Arthur and I some space together. I took the egg from my scarf and set it in the sink. As I examined the turquoise speckles on the egg Arthur threw a pillow at my head chuckling.

"Come to bed."

"OK." I climbed under the blankets meeting Arthur's blue gaze. "Cabbagehead."

"Hey." Arthur pulled me closer. "I'm not a cabbagehead... Cabbagehead." I laughed with him. He kissed me. "Tell me how a dragon is born. My father hated them so, I never got to learn any truths, tell me this one."

"I'm the last dragonlord. I must name the dragon and then it will hatch. There are three that Flarehshag knows of, could be more. I am the last dragonlord, so said Kilgharrah. For all I know he could've been wrong. The world is much larger than what we knew of then." I watched Arthur's smile grow to a grin as he stroked the growing stubble that littered my cheeks and jaw.

"I like this, makes you look older and not so much a boy." We both chuckle.

"I've had a few beards in my lifetime. I'm glad you like it."