Chapter One: Rough Start to the Day

Bren's POV

My brothers were at it, again I might add, at the table as we all try to eat our breakfast. Evan usually taunts Tyler so he can just have some fun before they get on the bus for school. I rolled my eyes at them as I take another bite of my bagel. "Will you two stop it already? You're not five and three anymore," I said in frustration. Tyler just looked at me and stuck his tongue out. He's always been a brat. Evan, on the other hand, shot me a glare through his glasses.

I looked at the clock and I smiled. "Hey you two, you need to catch the bus. It's almost at the bus stop for you guys now," mom said. Rose was a nice woman, but I never really warmed up to her. I liked her and all, but I missed mom. My real mom. Evan and Tyler quickly cleared their plates and rushed out the door to head to the bus stop. I got up to clear my plate. Just as I was about to walk out the door, Rose stopped me. "Bren sweetie, I need you to do errands for me when you come home from school," she said with a chipper tone but with a devious smirk.

"Rose, I have homework to do when I get home. Do you really expect me to do some errands for you when I hardly get any time for myself?" I wasn't in the mood for getting bossed around at seven in the morning. Plus, I need to get to school. I grabbed my keys with my bag over my shoulder. I didn't say goodbye to dad and Rose. What am I? A slave? Why can't she do it herself? I rolled my eyes as soon as I got into my car. I started it up and drove off to school.

***

Rebecca's POV

My mom was passed out on the couch with her hand molded around the neck of a beer bottle. There were about six more empty bottles on the floor. I groaned and began to pick them up off of the floor before Tyson finds them. Tyson is only five years old and sees everything as a toy. Mom never cleaned up the house and make it "kid" friendly. Dad moved out saying,"If I hear that either Rebecca or Tyson are hurt or if anything happens to them, I swear I will take your fat lazy ass to court and ask for the custody of MY children. You need to clean up your act Linda if you want to keep the children safe and well cared for." Those were his last words before he walked out the door with a suitcase and hopped into a taxi. I heard Tyson walking down the hall, looking for something to eat.

I quickly picked up the bottles and threw them into the recycling bin, which was placed well out of Tyson's reach. I quickly got Tyson his breakfast as I got mine. I placed the bowl of cereal in front of him and I took a bite of my lightly buttered toast. "Where'ssss mmmmy beeeeerre?" Mom was up, in a drunken state. She always wanted more alcohol no matter the time of day. I rolled my eyes.

I walked into the living room, leaning against the doorway leading from the kitchen to the living room. Mom looked at me in a daze, giving this blank expression. It was like she was seeing me with four heads, which I wouldn't be surprised since she's hungover big time. "Mom, you're hungover. You don't need anymore beer. It's nearly seven in the morning and you want yet another bottle of beer. You're going to kill yourself from drinking yourself to death," I told her as I finished off my toast. She pushed herself up but then fell to the floor, landing on her hands and knees harshly. I groaned and helped her to her room.

I shut the door behind me and found Tyson standing before me, his clothes in complete disarray on his body. I couldn't help but to smile at my little brother. He had his cute smile coating his face. "Come here you," I said as I knelt down with open arms. He giggled and ran into my arms. I swung him around in the air and them held him in my arms, having him rest on my hip. I brought him into the bathroom and cleaned him up before I brought him to daycare. I fixed his red shirt and pulled up his pants. I took the comb from the drawer on the sink counter and ran it through his curly brown hair. He was squirming, like he usually does on every school morning.

It only took five minutes to get Tyson ready. Thank god I was all ready for school. I grabbed my school bag, along the bag with Tyson's lunch, with Tyson in my arms. We headed for the car and as soon as Tyson was all situated in his car seat, we drove off to the daycare. "Becca, what's wrong with mommie?" Tyson's voice broke the comfortable silence in the car. I looked in the rear view mirror to look at Tyson.

I smiled softly at him. "Mommie isn't feeling well Ty. She'll be better soon," I explained. He's too young to understand what's wrong with mom. One day he will understand. Let's hope that she sobers up by then.