Chapter Seven: Comfort and Tears

Bren's POV

When Rose messaged me saying that she was on her way home from work, I panicked. I didn't know what to do. Becca was trying to keep me calm. "Bren, what's so bad about Rose meeting me?" I looked at Becca, eyes full of fear. "Is there something I should know about her?"

"She's my stepmother. She's not exactly the nicest woman you want to meet," I explained to her. I lowered my head and ran my fingers through my hair. I really didn't want Becca meeting the woman. I didn't want to get shit from Rose. She bosses me around as is and uses me as a slave in a manner of speaking to do things that she's too lazy to do. She does that a lot. She makes me do all the grocery shopping and other shit. Why can't she do that shit herself? Oh, I don't know, maybe because she's too fucking lazy.

"Ah, I understand completely on that one. I don't like people meeting my mother. She's an alcoholic and could give two shits about my brother and I," Becca stated, sounding embarrassed. I didn't know that. I felt bad for her. I thought I had it rough with having my real mother dead and having a bitch for a stepmother. Having a mother who's an alcoholic is worse. That I know for a fact. That's when I noticed tears were falling from Becca's eyes. I took her face in my hands and wiped away her tears.

She looked at me. She couldn't even smile no matter how hard she tried. Did her mother hurt her or her brother in anyway? "Becca, you're okay. You're safe here with me. Oh sweetie, you're okay. Becca, please don't cry. Please don't. Becca," I said softly, holding her close and wiping away her tears. She buried her face into my shoulder and wept. I rocked softly and comforted her as much as possible. I didn't know what to do. So, I decided to sing to her to see if that helped.

You were spoiled rotten and turned stale like all your plans,
My tongue's acquired tolerance for tastes that I couldn't stand.
You've been stuck in a rut and a wasteland,
Drowned in swamps below your feet.

So just trust me, you'll be just fine,
I need your trust just for tonight.
This is not a place in my head,
Reach out your hands and tell me just what you feel.
This is not just all in your head,
Mind over matter makes these things feel so real.

I can see the doubt in your eyes,
You say there's no such thing as better things in life.
Well, I must confess that this is all too new for me,
A whole new world, a whole new world to see.

Trust me, you'll be just fine,
I need your trust just for tonight.
This is not a place in my head,
Reach out your hands and tell me just what you feel.
This is not just in your head,
Mind over matter makes these things feel so real.

Keep an open mind, it brings open hearts and open eyes.
You walk around with your hands out, and I've never seen anyone so blind.

This is not a place in my head,
Reach out your hands and tell me just what you feel.
This is not just in your head,
Mind over matter makes these things feel so real. (2x)

She looked at me, eyes still moist from her tears. A smile then slowly appeared across her face. I dried her eyes and smiled back at her. "That was beautiful. I didn't know that you could sing," she said. I blushed from her sweet comment. My smile grew wider.

"Yeah, I did chorus for a bit during middle school and did a short time in the church choir," I said. I was embarrassed about the church choir part. I really didn't like admitting that.

"Your voice is beautiful. I wish I could sing like that," she said softly with more confidence. Did I really sound that good? I don't think I do. I really think my singing sucks. Rose always told me that I sounded horrible and I believed her. I believed so much of the shit she said about me for years.