Chapter Fifteen: Starting Fresh

Rebecca's POV

"Thanks Kyle. You're the best," I said, hugging him.

"It's no problem Becca. You better take care of yourself. You hear me? I don't want to find out that my cousin got into some trouble," Kyle said. I smiled and laughed.

"Me getting in trouble? Really Kyle," I said with a hint of humor as I playfully punched my cousin in the shoulder. He acted like it hurt but it was just his comical self. I smiled at him. I sure had missed seeing my cousin. Bren was fooling around with Tyson.

"So, who's your girl," Kyle asked. I blushed softly. He knew me too well. He was like an older brother to me. I trusted him with everything.

"That's Bren Sanders. We go to school together. Well, when we went to school," I stated. Kyle crossed his arms and cocked an eyebrow at me. "What? What else could I do Kyle? Her dad threw her out of the house because she's dating me and my parents are gone. My dad's in jail and my mom's at a retreat. We had to do something to start over." Kyle's face softened and he embraced me in his muscular arms.

"I'm sorry Becca. I didn't know," he said softly. I hugged him tightly and relaxed. I've never felt safe with anyone else besides Bren and Kyle. After all that I've been through, it's sort of hard to find those certain people who make you feel safe and cared for.

Kyle was my 21 year old cousin. He was the smartest kid of the bunch in our crazy family. I follow right after him. Kyle works at a big fancy company firm in the city. So, he gave us his flat, well his spare flat anyway. It was comforting, spacious, and a great view of the river and the park. It was perfect for us three. I smiled at Kyle and thanked him. He gave me the keys to the flat and kissed my cheek goodbye. "Will I see you again," I asked as his hand gripped the door knob. He turned around and smiled.

"Of course Becca. It's good to have some family living nearby again," he said and then walked out the door. Tyson came running and grabbed onto my leg. I smiled and laughed at him. He was so cute. Now it's going to be a bit easier for the three of us. Kyle said that he'd pay for everything when it came to the rent and bills. He said it was the least he could do for us. It was nice for him to offer. Bren and I accepted his offer. I looked at Bren. Her breathtaking smile was painted across her face. She walked over to us and stood only inches from me, slowly closing the space between us. I crashed my lips on hers. A playful moan vibrated inside her throat. I wanted her. I wanted her badly. Then Tyson's soft yawning distracted us. Looks like someone's in need of a nap. We both smiled and I picked him up. I carried him to his new room. There was a crib like bed in there. Kyle was nice enough to provide some extra furniture to accommodate Tyson. I placed him on the bed, lightly draping the blanket over him. I kissed his forehead and walked out of the room, closing the door behind me.

When I turned around, Bren was standing behind me. "Your cousin was really kind on giving us this place. He's a nice guy," Bren said. I smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

"I'm glad you think so. Kyle is like an older brother to me. He's really the only one who actually gives a shit about me in my family," I said, looking towards the carpeted floor. Bren placed a hand under my chin, raising my head. She smiled softly at me and I exchanged a similar smile. I could see the playful look in her sapphire eyes. I knew what she was thinking. Was I ready for it again? I mean, it was only a week ago when my dad... My mind wandered to that day. The haunting and disgusting images filled my head. I cringed at the memory. Bren saw the look on my face. She knew then that I wasn't really ready to make out with her again. She pulled me in and wrapped her arms around me. I wrapped mine around her and leaned my head on her shoulder. I actually started crying and I didn't even realize it.

"Becca, you're crying," Bren stated. Oh, I guess I was. My face was wet from the salty tear streaks. I wiped my eyes with my sleeve. "Him again and that day?" I nodded my head. I was scared still. I was raped twice for crying out loud. My life has become more of a nightmare. Will it ever get better?

"Bren, will things ever get better for me," I cried out softly in question. She was surprised by my question.

"Of course Becca. Of course things will get better. It just takes time," she answered, kissing my forehead afterwards. I smiled softly through my tears. She began wiping them away. She kissed me once she finished clearing my eyes from the tears. "I promise Becca. It will."

***

"I'm going to get some food. Do you want to make a list of what you want?" I looked at Bren. I was sitting on the couch watching TV with Tyson. I stood up and got a pad of lined paper with a pen. I started writing down things that Tyson and myself would want.

Bread

Orange juice

Grapes (red/seedless)

Apples (macintosh)

Vanilla ice cream

Butter

Cookies

Cheese (American/porvalone)

Pasta

Mac 'n Cheese

Ginger ale

Chicken breast

Hot dogs

Ketchup

Animal crackers

Peanut butter

Grape jelly

Crackers

Chicken noodle soup

Potato chips (orignal)

Cereal (Cheerios)

I put the pen down and handed the list to Bren. She looked it over. A smile coated her face. "What," I asked in curiosity. She looked at me and stood there.

"We like the similar foods that you put on the list," she said. Ah, that's why she smiled. She kissed me quickly and went out the door, list in her purse and keys in hand. I sighed and smiled. I looked back at Tyson who was curled up on the couch sound asleep again. I laughed softly to myself. I turned off the TV and let him be on the couch. I walked towards the master bedroom and began to unpack my bags.

I hung up my sweatshirts and jackets in the closet. My shoes I placed on the shoe rack on the floor of the closet. There were two dressers thankfully. So I placed the remaining of my clothing into the drawers of one of them. When I put everything away, I felt accomplished and satisfied. I put my bags in the hallway closet. That's when I heard the door open. "Hey, I'm back," Bren annouced. I smiled and went down the elegantly crafted stairs. I waved to her and saw the many plastic bags on the counter top and placed by the fridge.

"Buy enough food," I comically asked with a smile. She laughed at my tone of voice when I asked the question. I hugged her and began helping her put away the groceries and such. Tyson was still asleep on the couch. He looked so peaceful. I'm glad he's adjusting well. I think we all are.