Chapter Five: Should I Say Something?

Bren's POV

"How's things with your dad? I know things have been tense since we were in the hospital," I said after I released my embrace around her from our hug. The question appeared to have rubbed off on Rebecca the wrong way. I think I shouldn't have asked.

"I'm not really in the mood talking about that. He's at court at the moment, trying to settle things," she spoke in a solemn tone. Based on how she responded and her body language, this whole thing was hitting her hard. She softly sighed and I saw the joyful light in her eyes vanish. I felt horrible. I embraced her in another hug. "It's just so fucking hard! Why does my family have to be torn apart by such a little thing?" She started to cry.

I had to find a way to comfort her. "Becca, shh. You're going to be fine. I got you. I got you hun," I spoke in a soft and soothing voice. She exhaled a shaky breath as her crystal tears began to drip onto my shirt. Why did her parents have to be so fucked up? I felt so bad for her. No child should go through this. She looked up when she realized that I called her 'Becca'.

"What... What? What did you call me?" She stuttered for a moment. It was actually quite cute.

"I called you Becca," I said. Her eyes actually lit up again. I slowly wiped away her precious little tears from her gorgeous face and eyes. A smile, that adorable smile spread across her face. Then my phone began ringing. I groaned and rolled my eyes. "Hello?"

"Bren, sweetie, I need you to come home. Bring your friend from the hospital too. We need someone to watch your brothers," Rose said in that annoying preppy voice of hers.

"Why can't you do that yourself?" I really didn't want to go back home to watch them.

"I have to go to work. Your father had a flight to Boston because of work. Your brothers are sick. We need you to come home this instant. I already called the school and explained the situation. You're both being excused from school today," she explained, now sounding irritated.

I sighed. "Fine, I'll get her." Then I ended the call. Becca gave me this confused look. "Rose needs us to go to my place to watch my brothers since they're sick," I explained.

"Who's Rose and why us?" Becca was so confused. I grabbed her hand and we signed ourselves out at the main office. Becca followed me to my place once we got to our cars. The house was only ten minutes away from the school driving wise. When we arrived at the house, Rose was already gone. I sighed with relief. I didn't want Becca meeting my stepmother. We parked the cars in the driveway and we both got out.

"Welcome home," I said awkwardly with a huff of air following afterwards. Becca just stared at the house. It wasn't much to look at honestly. I sighed and I walked up to the front door with my school bag over my shoulder and keys in hand. Becca followed me to the house, looking somewhat timid. I opened the door and found Evan and Tyler sitting lazily on the couch, watching tv. I groaned and shut the door behind Becca. "I thought you guys were sick," I said with a slight attitude.

They both turned around and their faces turned red with embarrassment. "Well, we are but not as sick as you may think Bren," Evan stuttered. He pushed his glasses back up the bridge of his nose. I crossed my arms across my chest. "Sorry that mom had to take you guys out of school. We really are. We don't need a babysitter for crying out loud. You guys can do whatever," Evan said.

I really hated when he called Rose mom. Tyler was her actual son. Evan and I are just her stepchildren. I don't even understand why, let alone how, dad fell in love with the woman and make her his wife. He married Rose a year after mom died. It was like he didn't even care about her for crying out loud. Mom died in child birth. I was only six years old at the time of her untimely death. "Who's your friend?" Tyler and Evan were both looking directly at Becca. She was getting really uncomfortable right now. I could tell by the expression coating her beautiful face.

"This is Becca. Now, do you guys need anything? Otherwise, we're going to go upstairs to my room," I said. Becca's head spun around like a flying bullet. Did I say something wrong? I hope I didn't.

"Hi," they said in unison. They even waved hello to her. This isn't like them. I guess they really are sick. They never act like this, all nice and such. Becca waved back shyly. "No, we're good," Tyler answered my question.

I grabbed Becca's hand and dragged her away from the living room and up the stairs. I brought her into my room and shut the door behind us. Becca looked around my room. It wasn't much to look at though, but she seemed interested in it. I threw my bag next to my desk and crashed on my bed. Becca was just standing there awkwardly and was tightening her grip on her bag strap. "You can sit down if you want," I told her. She placed her bag down next to mine and timidly sat down on the edge of my bed. "Did I say something wrong when we were downstairs," I asked.

She looked at me. I instantly melted when I looked deeply into her amber eyes. I wanted to say a million things to her. I was attracted her. There was no doubt about that. Was she attracted to me too? I had to know. I really did. It was the only way to know so that it's not just a one way mutual feeling. "Well, um, I've never been upstairs in another girl's bedroom in a long time. Things sort of happened the last time I was in a girl's room," she said. I was confused. What did she mean "things sort of happened the last time"? Did some shit go down or something?

"Oh, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. We can go somewhere else if you want," I said as I propt myself up on my elbows. I caught her staring at me. I sort of blushed. I swear, I always love when she looks at me that way. She looked away and her cheeks turned a light rosy color. Was she blushing since I caught her staring?

"No, it's fine. So, what do you want to do?" Okay, that was a broad question. There was a lot of things I wanted to do right now and it involved her. I stared at her luscious lips. I had to lick mine since they grew dry and chapped within minutes. I wanted to kiss her so badly right now. My heart was hammering inside of my chest. I could feel sweat forming on the back of my neck and on my forehead. Why do I have to feel this way? Why does this emotion have to be so intense?

I didn't know what to say. Then I just blurted out, "I like you!" Becca just gave me a blank stare. Shit. I think I should've kept my mouth shut. It just sort of came out. I didn't want to blurt that out. I really didn't. Now I'm so embarrassed. Then she smiled. I was confused yet again. I was blushing so much that my entire face felt like it was on fire.

"I like you too," she said with a friendly smile. That faint blush on her cheeks made me smile and blush even harder. I had to cover my face. I couldn't believe it. Becca liked me back. She likes me! I felt Becca's hands place themselves on mine and removed them from my face. "You know, I can't see your beautiful face when you hide it." That adorable smile stretched gracefully across her face. She had the face of an angel for crying out loud! I haven't seen anyone as beautiful as her.

"You're making me blush more Becca. That isn't very nice," I said playfully. She just smiled more and pinned my wrists to the bed. I think I know where this is going.

"I know and you're so adorable when you blush," she said in the same tone. "Just wondering, how long have you had feelings for me?"

"Since that day when we were called down to the principle's office," I replied, not breaking my deep passionate gaze into her beautiful amber eyes.