Chapter Twelve: Guilty As Charged

This idea came from baka_neko. She helped me figure out what to do next. Enjoy :)

Mr. Swan's POV

My head was pounding like a thousand drums sounding right next to me. I rubbed my eyes and clutched my head fiercely as I tried to numb the pain. Everything was cold and the clanking of metal and cries from men echoed from everywhere. Where the hell am I? "Well, look who decided to wake up," a familiar voice sarcastically spoke in question. I propped myself up and sat on the edge of the cot. I looked around and saw an iron rod cell door, white painted cinder block walls, and then her. Why did they have to put me with Linda?

"Oh shut up woman!" She just chuckled. What was so funny? Honestly, I had to get out of this damn cell. I walked slowly to the door and clutched the bars to keep myself steady. "Let me out for Christ's sake! I've done nothing wrong!" A police officer came down the corridor and stood face to face with me. He crossed his arms and just gave me a death glare with a smirk. What?!

"Yeah, that's what everyone says buddy. Plus, you're convicted of child abuse," the officer said. I gave him a puzzled look. What does he mean "child abuse"?

"What do you mean?" The officer just stood there and continued to stare at me.

"You were under the influence, sir. You abused your daughter," he said firmly. What? I would never do that. I promised Rebecca that I wouldn't do anything. Did I really abuse her? Is she alright? Oh God, what have I done? What about Tyson? Did I hurt him too?

"What of my son? Is he alright?"

"Yes, he's just scared. You frightened him, but he's unharmed," the officer said and then walked away. "Oh, you're facing the judge with your wife later today so see what will become of you." Then he disappeared from my line of sight. Oh shit. This is great. Now I may go to prison. What will become of Rebecca and Tyson? Where will they go?

5 hours later

Linda and I stood before the judge, hands still in the silver bracelets. We were side by side. I kept my eyes glued onto the judge. I couldn't look at Linda. Not without wanting to strangle her. The judge began to speak. Next thing I know, I'm tuning out everything.

"Mr. Swan, what do you have to say for yourself?" I shook my head. Oh man, what was I going to say?

"Not guilty, your honor," I responded. He looked down at some sheets of paper. A police report maybe.

"That's not what it says here, Mr. Swan. A Miss Sanders gave a statement to the police last night at the hospital. She says, and I quote, 'He was completely drunk. Becca was scared. She had a welt on her face that was turning into a deep bruise by the minute when she came into my arms. She cried out to her father saying that he promised her that he wouldn't do this again. I'm assuming she meant the drinking. I believed that her father was a nice and decent man. I was clearly mistaken. Tyson, her little brother, came running over, fear in his eyes. He didn't appear to be hurt, but he was sure traumatized by the event that took place before his very eyes. Mr. Swan hit his daughter, causing her to collapse shortly later in my arms.' Would you like to rethink your response?" My mouth was ajar. What? No, that can't be right. No, I wouldn't do such a thing.

Linda elbowed me in the ribs. I winced slightly and began to lose my balance. I guess I was still hungover. "Okay, I admit that I had one too many beers. I had a stressful day at work. Attacking Rebecca is something I would NEVER do, your honor. My statement remains the same," I said in my defense.

"Mr. Frank Swan, you have been sentenced to five years in prison. You have lost custody of your children. They will be taken care of." The judge then moved on to Linda.

"Ms. Linda Swan, you are to be sent to a care facility that aids those with abuse of alcohol, drugs, etc. You will not leave the retreat until you are deemed fit to return to start fresh and stay sober."

The police took us away and out of the court room. I hung my head solemnly. I've failed them. I've failed to protect them. "Don't worry, one of the officers will be going to the hospital to see how she's doing. From there, things will be decided of what will happen to your son and daughter."

***

Rebecca's POV

I woke up with Tyson sound asleep next to me on the bed. I knew that I was in the hospital. I was coherent. I looked over to the chairs and found Bren asleep in the one of them. She looked so uncomfortable sleeping in that chair. Someone knocked on the door. I turned my attention to the officer standing in the doorway. "May I come in," she asked. I nodded softly. She walked over to the bed and sat down on the other side, trying not to wake Tyson. "Rebecca, your father has been sent to jail and your mother is being sent away to get the help and treatment she needs to recover. Do you have anywhere to go? I know that you're 18 but you need to be looked after for a while to make sure you're alright," she said. My face went pale. l looked at Tyson, wondering how he's going to be affected by this. That's when Bren woke up.

"They can stay at my place," she said. She sounded tired but spoke confidently and sincere. I looked at her and smiled softly. I wouldn't mind that.

"Are you sure that's alright miss," the officer asked, sounding a little unsure.

"Yes, I'm sure. We have a spare room at my house where she and her brother may stay," Bren replied. The officer nodded and spoke to Bren outside in the hall. That's when Tyson woke up.

"Hey buddy," I said softly. His eyes lit up and that adorable smile coated his face again. I wrapped an arm around him and he just snuggled up against me, resting his head on my chest. I kissed the top of his head softly and brushed his curls out of his eyes.

***

Bren's POV

"We need one of your parents to sign for their release into your custody. Do you understand that," the officer asked.

"Yes, I do. I'll call my dad right now. Thank you Officer...," I said.

"Officer Smith, but you can call me Nancy," she said with a smile.

"Thank you Nancy," I said and then I dialed dad's number.

"Bren, where are you," dad questioned.

"Hello to you too. Hey, I need you to come to the hospital and sign some papers. My friend and her brother are staying with us, okay? They don't really have another place to go and my friend needs to be looked over to make sure she's alright," I spoke.

"Alright, I'll be there in 15 minutes. What's your friend's name," he asked politely, sounding relieved to know that I was okay.

"Rebecca," I said with a smile on my face.