4: Recurring Dream

"Daddyyy...helpppp!"

"Sean....am comminngggg!!!" Brent wakes up again from the same dream. 

Guilt. You'd never overcome it unless you let go and forgive yourself, Dr. Steel's voice echoes. 

Brent is sweating. He gets up and walks out of the bedroom. He opens the fridge to drink a bottle of cold water.

He was just playing with Sean near the shore. They were building sand castle. 

Chloe called him with his phone

Chloe called him with his phone. He took it and answered. When he returned to the shore, Sean was gone. He ran to the beach with panic- stricken grief while shouting his son's name. He saw him swimming to the deeper part. He dove into the water. A rush of big waves swept over him and he lost sight of Sean.

After an hour of searching with the lifeguard, Sean's lifeless body floated. They did the first aid but Sean's gone.

"I told you to keep an eye on him! I was with our guests, Brent!" Chloe went hysterical then never said a word after that. She left after Sean was cremated and never came back.

He can't blame her.  He loved Chloe but her heart stopped beating for him when Sean died. The love she had for him died with their son. She's happier now with her new husband.

Brent sighs as he closes the fridge. He sits at his desk and turns on his laptop. He must solve these two cases of 2 dead men at The Rooftop alley and McArthur Park. Been 2 days and they still don't have a lead.  Lara is profiling every  possible suspect. She's checking all the CCTV's around the areas.

He dials her number. "I'm off to San Francisco, be back the next day. Keep me posted about the case."

"Sure do. Send my warm greetings to the family and Happy 30th wedding anniversary to your parents." Lara's smile can be felt on her voice. She met his family at Sean's wake. The Sherwoods were very nice.

"I will. Thanks." Brent hungs up. 

Brent closed his eyes during the one hour flight to San Francisco, thinking of Nikola. Where is she? Why did she leave him without a word?

His mother is taking pictures as he enters the restaurant. They are happy to see him. Pam is married.  Her husband is overseas for a business trip so she's only with her 2 children while Kent is still single and studying law at Golden Gate University.

  Her husband is overseas for a business trip so she's only with her 2 children while Kent is still single and studying law at Golden Gate University