13: Freedom

Diego enters inside the ruined pavilion after 5 bouts of smoking. "But I cannot kill you yet, bitch!". He looks at the hole on the wall from the gunshot earlier then spits on her feet. "Do you know why?"

Bree nods. "My money."

He squats on the floor facing his captive. "Now you're talking about the money. Yeah...that..." He grins then says in a  disgusting tone, "...but you won't tell me the name of your fucking lawyer!"

He gets up then pulls her hair to tilt her head. "Imagine how you lured me to get into your mess promising your money just to help you escape, huh bitch?"

Bree closes her eyes from the pain that he's causing her. "I really don't know. I was only 14 when we flew to Malaysia but mom told me all about the money that I'd get but you knew what happened to her." She winced as Diego tightened the grip on her hair.

'Yeah...but maybe if we're married and you suddenly die, your lawyer will find me right?" He frees her hair then gets the phone from his pocket and turns it on. "Oh, wait...what about this man, Brent? I turned off your phone when he called back saying Nikola where are you? Nikola...Nikola...Nik..."

"He doesn't know anything!"Bree cut him off.

He cups her chin. "You cannot escape from me anymore, darling. Enough of these men whom you're using just to get away. Once we're married, we're together but not forever. Of course you'd have a fabulous birthday party as you  turn 21." His eyes are dreamy as he speaks.  "After that, till death do us part. I'd be a grieving spouse with all the inheritance."   A roar of laughter echoes along the walls of the ruins.

How did he find her? She asks herself while he dials a number.

"Yeah...okay...how much? I'll be there."  He flicks his lighter to ignite another cigarette after ending the call. Inhales and blows smoke for several times before saying, "Yeah, how did I find you?" He asks as if reading her mind while doing the phone call. 

Only the devil can multitask in such a way.

"Well, don't I know you, my darling Alex? I can't just leave Italy when you left with Cargill. I lost you but I knew not for long."

He blows the smoke to her face.  "I went to the Asylum, you  left Gem's number  for any emergency. Of course they knew me as your boyfriend so they never hesitated to give any information.  Once I was in San Francisco Airport from New York, I called Gem who said you're home but the shitty whore won't let me in when she opened the door slightly.  She insisted I wasn't the boyfriend whom she met." He grins as he throws the butt of cigarette and grinds it with his shoe. "So my silencer shut her up."

He stoops down to touch her cheek and whispers with his lips almost touching hers, "Perhaps, she's expecting Brent, wasn't she?" He enclosed her face with his fingers and putting more pressure on it as he repeats the question with so much outrage, "DOESN'T SHEEEEE?!!!!". She winces from the pain. He let go then throws the phone that crashes against the wall.

He turns his back against her as he rubs his face. "Of course you'll change your name. I called the agency who always fixed our passports. Their contacts at the airport tipped them that you arrived in Cape Town without any hassle. I planned a dramatic ending. Did you like it?". His tone is sarcastic.

Bree shakes her head. "You don't have to kill anyone. They're innocent."

"I warned you, didn't I?" He shouted still not looking at her.

She cried. Yes he did and she was hard headed. 

When he turns to face her, the anger is gone. Replaced by a smile, he informs her in  a low tone, "I'm meeting my contact for our new passports so we can leave immediately to marry in New York. I'll go back with food and you'll have brunch." He gently touches her cheek then brushes his lips on hers. "Sorry, it's really uncomfortable to get you tied up like that sweetheart but I won't take long." He walks out.