10: Powerless

"What?! This is insane Chief!"  Brent's blatant refusal echoes after the Commander of Detective Bureau informed him personally that he'd be transferred to Juvenile Division. It feels like he just drank a gallon of coffee, making him very awake at the announcement.

Commander Kevin Murdoch reclines on his seat. He saw it coming that's why he called Brent for a one-on-one meeting first before gathering his staff for reorganization.

"This is just temporary, Brent. After the Tocci case you'll resume to your post in the Homicide Division. You seemed to have fondness with the girl since day 1. It may cloud your judgement. I'm not accusing her totally but she's the prime suspect. A serial killer is at large murdering men and whether Miss Tocci did it or not, I wanted it done carefully to apprehend the true killer."

"And this is Holtman's doing right? She'd remain in the case and replace me as the Team Lead?" Brent is very upset. Only Lara knows of his affair with Nikola.

"No, she won't head the team but yes she's still in the case. She'll be transferred to Forensic as an OIC. We're grooming her to replace Simon and we both know her background and skills are outstanding. You and Hayes will just swap divisions. Lara has nothing to do with this. It's my decision." The Chief explains but Brent is not convinced.

'When is the meeting?" Brent asks in dismay.

"After lunch. Endorse everything to Hayes so he can have proper protocol with Lara. See you later." Commander Murdoch knows it won't be easy for Brent who was his protegee.

Brent  proceeds to Juvenile Division and assumes his desk then leaves the building after a brief talk with Paul

Brent  proceeds to Juvenile Division and assumes his desk then leaves the building after a brief talk with Paul. He doesn't like Paul dipping his fingers in his department but what can he do? It's the Chief's command.

He drives around to nowhere. This is totally crazy. He handled the Tocci case from the very beginning and now he's just thrown out like that?! He feels very powerless.

But where is Nikola, really? What name is she using now? They have no lead yet. The Surveillance team coded her last activity: Nikola stayed in a sleazy hotel after Gem died. She used her roommate's credit card and checked in, impersonating her roomamate. Then she flew to New York still using Gem's name and that's the end.

Wait! How about Gem's phone number, she might have had used it too. They did not find the dead girl's cellphone in The Paramount.

Brent makes a U-turn to his house. Once home he turns on his laptop to search for cellphone numbers under Gemini Flynn. Special agents are given privilege to access the portal that shows specific users of cell phone mumbers. He enters the code assigned to him as password for USACP portal. There are series of phone calls that day under the number owned by Gemini Flynn. The lists go on until he finds 2 numbers under New York code. New York State Asylum and Nathan Reite Law Firm, PLLC.