16: Trial by Jury

The court convenes for the preliminary hearing of Alexandria May Clayton vs. the people of the United States.

Ynna Brune joins Atty. Nathan Reite in representing the accused. She's the recipient of Award for Outstanding Criminal Practitioner five years ago, an award conferred annually on one practitioner in New York. After leaving the U.S. Attorney's Office she joined the prestigious Nathan Reite & Associates law firm and been there for 18 years, a firm that The New York Times described as "a top-flight New York litigation boutique."

On the other hand, District Attorney Susan Lacey has spent most of her professional life as a prosecutor. Indicting felonies and murderers without mercy. As manager and executive in the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, her top priority is keeping the city clean from felonies. The seasoned prosecutor is ruthless in court.

It is a tough trial already with the best Defense and Prosecution lawyers. Adding more furor to the sensational case is the presiding judge who allows no nonsense in her court.

Judge Sonia O'Connor is one of among the three youngest justices in the service. Born in Newburgh, New York from Mexican parents, the only Hispanic judge who graduated summa cum laude from Harvard University and received J.D. from Princeton University.

The 12-person jury is expected to have their unanimous verdict on International Crime committed which in its act by itself considered serial killing by the accused as guilty by reasonable doubt.

Atty. Susan Lacey starts her opening statement. "Your honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is an indictment of murders in the first degree. Who would have thought that an innocent young girl could have a serial killing spree internationally? Her two husbands died. The first from Italy and the second here in Los Angeles. She's scott-free from those murders. But she went places, attracting men, murdering them for money. She stabbed or gunned down each victim without mercy. It could be the most barbarous fact that a woman could harm these men who were allured by her beauty. Alexandria May Clayton committed all these crimes without any provocation. I rest the verdict to your hands as I present evidences that this woman..." the prosecutor points a finger to the defendant then in firm tone declares, "....is a serial killer." She pauses for a few seconds looking at the jury before taking her seat.

Atty. Nathan Reite stands up for the defense opening statement. He shows the picture of the deceased Simon Powell. "The 31 year-old detective died in his own house allegedly stabbed by the defendant. Nobody saw it. The weapon was there which cannot even show any finger print." The lawyer paused. "How can we accuse someone without any evidence or witness?"

He pauses looking at the jury then throws a glance to the defendant. " I'd been friends to my neighbor in Manorville, New York. I never missed any occasion with the Claytons apart from seeing the defendant growing up. She was a consistent honor student, a well-mannered child and always attending Sunday church with her mother. Never had any trouble anywhere."

The defense grins at the prosecution, "When the prosecutor proposed my client's indictment, I saw the horrible look from your faces. What could be more terrible was being accused of her husbands's death?", he let out a deep sigh.

He walks infront of the jury, looking straight at each pair of eyes then says,  "I just want you to know that Alexandria May Clayton in her sane mind did not commit any of this crime. Alexandria May is not guilty of any crime which brings us to the way Atty. Lacey had given us a few minutes to listen to-- getting apprehended for something you can't ever do. Only God knows the truth and the defense team will seek the truth which will set free the defendant." He puts his arms on his sides with palms up  like an oblation who is begging for mercy from the heavens.