12: Captured

Lara is in the shower when she hears the ringing of her home phone. It goes to voice mail as she dries herself.

"Hey, it's Hayes. She called the bugged. Call me asap."

Hair still dripping, she wraps the towel around her body then runs for her cellphone on the bed. She dials the caller's number.

Hayes answered the call. "Yes... we traced it, South Africa.....ok....see you at the Station."

Brent is pacing in his house. He must go to Nikola but where the hell is she?

He already dialled Reite law firm but the lawyer was nowhere and the receptionist did not give his number.

"Sir, if you're really his client, you must know his number. Sorry we don't give Atty. Reite's personal phone number." The woman hung up on him leaving him totally frustrated. He'd try again later. Perhaps the man will go back to his office in the afternoon.

Bree blinks as the tears fall after reminiscing the past. She walks back to her villa from strolling in the beach. She must forget the past. If she won't, her  wounds won't heal.

She is watching tv around 5 PM when the telephone rings.

"Hi, Miss Linden this is Judith from reception. Would you be available for dinner? You have an invitation from Mr. Patrick Motsepe".

Bree muted the TV.  Nervousness creeps inside her. Does the police already know?

"No!" She says firmly then frantically throws questions to Judith.  "Don't I have privacy in this resort? Did you tell him my Villa number?! Am checking out tonight!" She freaks out.

The receptionist abruptly apologizes. "I'm sorry...Miss Linden, don't be mad. Uhm...we don't usually do this but ahhh....he's the owner of the resort. He saw you earlier and asked our manager.... if you can be invited for...dinner...?" Judith is stammering from Bree's sudden outburst.

Silence. "Miss Linden... are you still there?"

"Oh...yeah...sorry. I'm just having a terrible headache. Perhaps some other time." Bree's voice now in a low tone.

"No worries. I'll just inform our Manager that you can't be disturbed tonight." Judith bids goodbye.

Bree puts down the phone. She can't be too suspicious. She chastises herself from freaking out.

Rich dirty old man. Definitely married. But she could use him. Wealthy people have connections. It will be easier to relocate her patient here.

The next morning, Bree wakes up in her usual time,7 AM.

Coffee. Jog. Breakfast in the Villa Restaurant then a swim in the beach to get a sun tan. Lunch at 11 before the restaurant gets busy. Leisure trip to town when she needs to buy any. 4 PM nap then watching tv before room service for dinner at 7. That's her routine. She'd been here for almost a week. Met locals and trying to learn the language though most in civilized areas already speaks English.

When she enters the restaurant for breakfast. A waitress led her to a table with a giftbox.

Before she could open the note, the waitress said, "Your meal is on the house, Miss Linden." Bree smiles saying thank you.

" Bree smiles saying thank you