17: Engagement

After the shooting incident from McArthur Park, Lara and Paul drove to the hospital following the ambulance of the villains and Ed. Brent remained in the area to assist the police  in combing the park for any casualty while waiting for the chief's further instruction.

In the hospital, the CIU agents needed to supervise over those people who were brought for treatment and medication. It was a tedious work. The villains were dead, Ed was wheeled to the recovery room after the bullet was taken off from his shoulder. They still had to check all the conditions of those hit by stray bullets. There were ten civilians. They assisted their families who rushed to the hospital.  

Atty. Lacey was about to leave her office around 6 PM  when Lara came over.

"What happened Attorney?!...I did not expect the verdict." the detective sat on the attorney's desk.

" the detective sat on the attorney's desk

'Well me too, Lara. Your last witness unchained Clayton." The lawyer grinned with sarcasm. "She talked alot and I never expected her blabbering."

Lara was upset." I was dumbfounded upon knowing it!" 

Atty. Lacey sighed."Who wasn't? I thought Judith will be the one who can really indict the accused but it turned out she knew more than we do." 

Lara's tone was sullen. "I was thinking she'd be a great help. She knew all the victims and had personal communication with the suspect. She didn't even want to testify. I just told her to answer your questions truthfully." 

The woman lawyer gave out a bitter smile. "Yeah. She did and more. She witnessed the murder. Our evidences were not that heavy to put Clayton behind bars for life. We already nailed her to the wall when she admitted killing her Italian husband but our last witness proved her innocence so as the husband's driver."

The bitch is lucky but luck could be temporary. Lara smiled hideously. 

  Biltmore Hotel   

  Biltmore Hotel   

The restaurant was not crowded past 6 PM when Brent entered. He easily captured a group  in one corner. Atty. Reite called him for a small victory party in Smeraldi's at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel where the  Defense lawyers stay with their 2 associates who studied the case with them. Fabio was seated beside Sandra.