Chapter Twenty Five

"Father!" I ran towards the man who descended from the horse and gave him a hug.

"Princess Bai Fan..." Father hugged me back and patted my head.

Like a spoiled child, I clung on his arms as I escorted him inside the manor and into the dining hall. The servants had prepared a full meal as they were expecting my father's arrival today.

"Father, I'm glad you're finally here."

"How have you been, Princess?" He asked me as we sat on the chairs surrounding the table.

"Father, I've been fine but I was all alone here so I was a bit bored." I admitted.

When my opinion for the wedding preparation is not needed, I just spent my time in my room reading books or sleeping. Xiao Yu suggested that we roam around the imperial capital but I refused. I'd rather rot in my room than risk the chance of meeting unwanted people thus adding complications to my already complicated life.

Father raised his brows, "the first prince?"

"I don't know." I shrugged.

Chen Mu didn't come to visit me since the day he brought me home. Even the betrothal gifts were sent by his eunuch and not him.

Father seemed disappointed hearing my answer.

Father, I'm disappointed as well.

"He might be busy preparing for the wedding." I reasoned out.

It's not that I'm taking his side.

That unbearable man!

"No matter how busy he is, he should still make time to see you." He argued back.

I just smiled as the maids started to serve the food and we ate quietly, only the sound of utensils were heard inside the room.

"Father, how was the matters at the Western Border?" I broke the silence.

"It's under control now," he sighed in relief and continued, "thankfully, a group of men came to our aid and settled everything. I wouldn't be here and be able to witness your marriage if it weren't for them."

"A group of men?"

"I don't have any idea about their identity but I'm sure they are not serving under the Emperor," Father ate the last piece of food in his plate and said, "Princess, let's not talk about this matters anymore."

Who are those men who helped father?

I nodded in agreement though I was still curious about the details.

After eating, Father excused himself to rest. He was exhausted from the travel and was also not able to get proper rest for the past few days. As for me, I went back to my courtyard to check the delivered clothes that I am going to wear tomorrow.

The red silk garb was splayed out in my bed. The shiny fabric was layered in gold lace designed into intricate wild flowers covering its bodice and through its sleeves.

"It looks so," I paused for a moment to think about the appropriate word to describe the wedding dress, "sexy."

Xiao Yu took the dress and pulled me towards the flattened bronze that served as a mirror. She held the dress towards me and exclaimed in admiration, "Miss, it fits you!"

I looked at my hazy reflection and grinned in satisfaction, "I like it."

Just then, a servant knocked on the door. Xiao Yu went to see who it was. She came back with a grimace on her face.