Chapter Thirty Six

Something weird occurred.

I woke up to find that my negligees are all gone. I don't know how it happened but the chest containing it disappeared out of nowhere.

Poof! Gone!

Xiao Yu said she didn't touch the chest and I was embarrassed to ask Housekeeper Nu if he has seen it either. Xiao Yu tried to ask around but no one has noticed a 'strange chest.'

I am rather disappointed as I've spent half of my dowry money in buying high quality fabrics and paying the tailor. I wasn't even able to wear at least half of it.

Ahh, my money! My negligees!

If ever caught who took my precious clothes, I will...

I bitterly sighed.

Whoever took my negligees better make good use of it.

"Xiao Yu, let's go out of the manor." I told Xiao Yu to which she happily agreed to as she missed the outside world.

Xiao Yu helped me change into a light blue dress with a flowy bottom. It was easy to move in it and it felt less stuffy than the layered ones I usually wear when going out.

"Miss, don't forget to wear your golden lion emblem," Xiao Yu pinned the badge in the inner layer of my cloth and snickered, "we might need it if we get into trouble."

I informed Housekeeper Nu that we're going out and will be back before the sun sets. He looked surprised after hearing me as he never saw me leave my courtyard for the past month.

"Madam, please bring the guards with you." Housekeeper Nu said and six men stepped forward.

"No need." I refused.

"Madam, the first prince instructed that whenever you leave the manor, you need to bring the guards with you." Housekeeper Nu reminded me. I don't know but the stoic expression in his face somehow reminded me of his master.

First prince this...

First prince that...

And speaking of his master...

That Chen Mu...

He probably forgotten he has a wife waiting for him to come home!

I was hoping to avoid getting attention but if I bring with me those six bulky guards who has the Chen symbol printed in their uniform, the crowd will mob us.

"We will only be buying fabrics so one guard will do," I frowned and looked at one of the guards, "and change into a normal clothing."

"But mada-"

"Housekeeper Nu, its either I take one guard or none at all." I said in a serious voice and he eventually agreed.

We were able to leave the Chen Manor without any more delays. We went directly to Fu Zhuang. The same shop where I first met Shu Ming An and according to Yu Lang, owned by his master.

There were only a few people in the shop as it was still early in the morning. The costumers usually flock in during afternoon. I ordered for the guard to wait for me outside which he reluctantly did.

Xiao Yu and I were in the fabric section finding the same materials that was used for my negligee when a high pitched voice interrupted us.

"Good morning, first princess!" Shu Ming An slighty bowed her head and had a fake smile painted on her face. I bowed back in recognition.

I noticed that she had changed her personal maid. When she saw that I was looking behind her, she laughed and proudly said, "I sold the insolent slave. I can't have such being beside me."

"I see." I simply answered and turned back to fabrics which I find more pleasant than Shu Ming An's presence.

Shu Ming An didn't get the clue that I wasn't interested in talking to her as she continued talking, "I wasn't expecting to bump into you here."

"Same."

"But I'm glad I did. I'm so sorry that I was not able to visit you in the Chen Manor because I'm so busy." Shu Ming An leisurely hooked her hand on my arms.

"Don't worry. Next time, I'll go visit you and bring you nice gifts which my father bought from the other empire when he went for a diplomatic gathering."

The last time I saw her at the palace, she was acting oh-so-mighty behind the empress and snobbish. Now, she's being overly friendly. Does she have a multiple personality disorder?

"Miss Shu, as much as I wanted to talk with you right now, I am rather busy as well." I pointed at the fabrics in front of her.

"Oh, I just wanted to invite you to my coronation," Shu Ming An ignored my passive voice and with an emphasis in every word, she told me, "as a crown princess."

I almost snorted.

Is she trying to rub that in my face?

I didn't want it in the first place.

She should thank me that I wasn't greedy for power or else I would have snatched it when Chen Heng Li proposed to me.

"Congratulations."

Shu Ming An's smile stiffened at my lack of response as she unhooked her hands from me.

"Xiao Yu, I've already chosen, let's go," I told Xiao Yu and faced Shu Ming An, "Have a good day."

I was in no mood to deal with Shu Ming An and her games. The hot weather was in no help as well, making me sweat and my body a bit sticky.

After paying, we left Fu Zhuang and headed to Ying Yi to cool down. I specifically asked for the waiter called Yu Lang to serve me but they informed me that he was no longer working there.

I wonder where that kid is. Is he with the Dark Shadow?

We ordered for refreshing drinks and sweet desserts. Xiao Yu happily dived into the food as I sipped on my glass of berry extracts.

"Miss, I still can't believe that such person would be soon the mother of our empire! Our empire is doomed! Let's better run for the hills! " Xiao Yu prattled on while eating pudding. How she managed to breath while doing so amazed me.

I hushed her down, "your voice is so loud. Someone might hear you. And don't talk with food in your mouth, you might choke."

"Miss, I won't chok-" Xiao Yu's voice was cut off when she started coughing. I rushed to her seat and patted her back. When she threw up the food lodged in her neck, I handed her the glass of water which she immediately drank.

"What did I tell you?" I laughed.

Finishing the food and paying our bills, we made our way out of the restaurant and back to our carriage. And before night fell, we were back at the Chen Manor.

Housekeeper Nu was waiting for me at the entrance. He bowed his head in greetings.

"Madam, a package have arrived from the imperial palace." He said and handed Xiao Yu a medium-sized box.

"From whom exactly?" I queried.

"The Royal Concubine." Housekeeper Nu said before he left.

Xiao Yu walked me back to my chambers and placed the box on top of the table. I sat on the chair and raised the lid of the box. I lifted its contents and dropped it back.

Xiao Yu peeked inside the box and exclaimed, "So cute! Miss, look! Baby clothes!"

Mother-in-law...

Sadly, I can't make you a grandchild all by myself.