Chapter Twenty Nine

"How is Ming Shu?" I asked Xiao Yu as soon as she entered my room.

"Miss, she has fallen asleep." Xiao Yu answered and lit the the gas lamp hanging on the room wall.

Earlier, Ming Shu arrived to the Chen Manor demanding to see me. The guards almost dragged her out but luckily, Xiao Yu was walking pass when she saw the commotion. She immediately came to inform me.

When I saw Ming Shu, she was a total mess. She tightly clung to me while continuously crying. No matter how Xiao Yu and I comforted her, she wouldn't stop bawling. I offered her some relaxing tea to calm her down, and when she did, I instructed Xiao Yu to bring her to one of the empty rooms in my courtyard to rest.

"Miss, what do you think happened to Ming Shu?" Xiao Yu questioned me.

I haven't told Xiao Yu about the reason why Ming Shu left so she does not have any idea that Ming Shu chose to serve the crown prince.

"I have no idea, either."

It must have something to do with Chen Heng Li.

And maybe Shu Ming An too?

I'll just talk to her tomorrow. She's probably ready to talk by then.

"Miss, you haven't told me why Ming Shu left before." Xiao Yu stated as she looked at me, curiousity filling her eyes.

I sighed and gestured for her to take a seat in front of me, "the crown prince took her as a personal servant."

Xiao Yu's eyes widen, "Miss, does that mean that she climbed on the crown prince's bed?"

I nodded in response and Xiao Yu clasped her hand over her gaping mouth. After going over her shock, Xiao Yu's facial expression changed.

"I can't believe Ming Shu did such shameless act!" Xiao Yu spatted, "After you took her in and treated her well, she still seduced the crown prince!"

In my case, I wasn't surprised. Somehow, the protagonists would eventually get together.

"Xiao Yu, its okay. I never wanted the crown princess status in the first place." I assured Xiao Yu with a smile.

"But Miss..." Xiao Yu wanted to rant more but I stopped her.

"Xiao Yu, I'm already married and I'm happy."

Xiao Yu breathed in and released a huff, "Miss, I even wanted the crown prince to end up with you but seeing how he easily gave in to the desire of his flesh, I think the first prince is the best one for you."

"Miss, why did you even let Ming Shu inside the manor? You should have kicked her out!" Xiao Yu added in fury, throwing punches in the air.

I ended up laughing at Xiao Yu's silly antics.

"Miss, you're truly incredible. You're still in the mood to laugh." Xiao Yu snickered.

"Xiao Yu, you better not do something to Ming Shu. She's been through a lot, let's not complicate things for her." I reminded Xiao Yu.

"Since Miss is so benevolent, then this servant will not confront Ming Shu about it." Xiao Yu spoke.

"Good girl."

I dismissed Xiao Yu and she went back to her own resting area. Since I was not yet sleepy, I decided to familiarize myself with my new courtyard.

Before Chen Mu left, he ordered the manor's servants to help me move to the courtyard near his. Being the stubborn person that I am, I asked the servants to carry my belongings to the farthest courtyard.

The courtyard was small compared to the other courtyards inside the manor but it fits me well. Since its located at the far end, there's rarely people who comes across it. It gives me the privacy and solitude I needed.

After making sure that everything was in the right place, I laid on my bed and stared blankly at the wooden ceiling.

For the past days, a lot of unexpected things happened. Unknown characters keep popping out of nowhere. I keep on meeting people who has no connection with the original Bai Fan. The next events are unpredictable, too. In short, I have no grasp of the plot anymore. I have no idea what's going to happen next.

Should I be sad that my own written story turned somewhat of a puzzle to me? Or should I be happy that I'm free from the fate which the plot has decided for me?

The only good thing that happened to me was father, Xiao Yu and in addition, Chen Mu.

Father is the best, no need to question that. I've been living a good life because of him. He might not be there all the time but he makes up with his absence.

But I'm quite worried about him. After my wedding, he went back to the Western Border as the threat of the rebellious sects was still there. I wanted to go with him however, I'm already a married woman and I would only cause distraction with my presence. Thankfully, I'm going back to the Western Border for a visit in a few days.

Xiao Yu has also stayed by my side since I transmigrated here. She's been the sister I've wanted, someone I can talk and confide to. Though she almost got me in trouble for her little gift, I'm glad I have her.

Then there's Chen Mu. He is still as mysterious as ever but I feel that I can trust him with my life. Though he doesn't fully trust me yet, I'm not losing faith in him.

The more I spend time with him, the more I believe that he's the man hinding behind the mask, the real Dark Shadow. His voice and the way he speaks, his built and the way he walks, his temperament and the way he teases me were all the same. It would be a stretch if its all coincidences. Unless he has a twin brother? But I doubt it.

Out of all the decisions I made, I guess marrying Chen Mu was the best thing I've done. I know its still early to tell but he's nice and reliable. He's kind of cute too so I won't have a hard time facing him my entire life.

Okay, not just 'kind of cute' but really cute especially when he acts like an innocent child.

My thoughts were cut off when I noticed a shadow walk pass my open window.

"Xiao Yu?" I asked and there was no response.

I stood up from my bed and walked towards the window. I leaned against the window frame to peek outside but there was no one there.

"Was that my imagination?"