0.4

*

*

Eleanor couldn't stop the relief she felt when she saw Bella at school one day later. The girl looked pale and zombie-like, but she was no longer locking herself away from the world. Eleanor hoped her friend would open her arms to their friends soon.

Angela nudged Eleanor's side, her brown eyes clouded in concern. "Is she okay?"

Eleanor nodded as she glanced back at Bella. "She will be. Just give her time."

Jessica squeezed Eleanor's elbow, the twins shooting each other small smiles. She was glad that her sister knew about her relationship now - it was nice to be able to lean on someone aside from Bella.

And while her chest still felt tight and there was a constant stinging behind her eyes, she knew that she would eventually be okay.

Mike tracked Bella with his eyes before turning back to their group with a grimace. "Is this all because Cullen left?"

"Yes, Mike." Eleanor rolled her eyes at the blonde. "Not everyone has the emotional range of a teaspoon."

The three girls snickered at Mike's reddening face. He turned away from them as the bell rang, signaling the beginning of the school day. Eleanor stopped her giggling to swing her bag over her shoulder.

Her eyes caught onto the empty parking spots near the school and she sighed, her thoughts drifting back to her missing friends. A hand wrapped around her own and she turned to Jess, who tugged her forward. "Come on."

Eleanor forced her eyes away from the parking lot and followed Jess into the building.

Classes passed slowly that day. She found it hard to focus that day, her thoughts straying to Carlisle every so often. Her knee bounced, jaw clenched as she began to grow frustrated.

She had never felt so lonely in her life, even when she was dealing with her abilities by herself. Maybe it was because she was Carlisle's mate that she felt so empty and she couldn't help but hope that he felt the same.

Maybe the remote feeling would cause him to return.

The same thoughts flittered through her mind throughout lunch as she pushed around her food. She took small bites and contributed to the conversation when needed. Jess and Angela tried to direct questions to her, noticing that the girl was more quiet that usual.

"Hey Bella!" Mike interrupted something Eric was saying when he spotted the brunette. Eric glared at the blonde while El turned, hoping that the girl would join them.

Instead, Bella only glanced at their group before discarding her back at the table behind her. Eleanor's lips flattened as she watched Bella sit at the Cullens' table. She turned back to her tray as Jess leaned close to her.