8. Bad Vibes

Song: Mama by MCR

About six hours into the road trip, I can feel myself dozing off in the back seat. Noah glances back to me, breaking away from his conversation with Damian. "You sleepy?" He asks, smiling.

I return the smile, rubbing my baby bump with my eyes half-closed. "Yea, a little."

He nods. "Do you want to stop for food?"

"Nah," I reply. "I'm alright. I just want to get there and get this over with."

"Are you nervous?" Damian asks from behind the wheel.

I sigh. "I don't know. Kind of, I guess."

My phone buzzes in my pocket, and I slide it out. I nearly toss it out the window when I see who it's from.

*Kade: I'm sorry about earlier.

I grit my teeth and text back.

*Iris: And that's all you're sorry about?

*Kade: No.

*Kade: You know how I am, though.

I roll my eyes, letting them sink deeply into the back of my head as I hold back a groan. Is he serious?

*Iris: You really think that is going to fix it this time?

*Kade: No, but I hope that it can be a start. I shouldn't have cheated. I haven't been taking my meds right, and you know how I am when I'm not on them.

*Iris: As a grown ass man, you should know to take your medicine. That's not an excuse. Neither is being drunk. The fact is just that you never cared about anything more than sex in the first place, and you didn't want to be alone. The man I saw come through the door last night is not a man I want around my daughter. Clean your act up.

I hit send on the message, and Damian glances at me in the rear view mirror. "You OK, Iris? You look pissed."

I huff. "Kade is texting me."

Noah glaces back. "Do you want me to call him and tell him to leave you alone?"

I shake my head. "No. I've got it handled."

Noah gazes at me for a moment longer, and I can't seem to tear myself away from his eyes. They're almost hypnotic, and the raging storm inside me begins to calm.

"Look, Guys!" Damian exclaims breaking Noah and I's eyes away from each other's. "We're passing the state sign! We are finally here!"

I grin, staring out the window. "God, I missed it here," I say, excitedly. "Just about an hour to my house now."

"And it will be the longest hour I have ever driven," Damian says, throwing his head back dramatically.

I giggle, throwing my arms around the seat to hug him. "You're the best."

The rest of the ride is spent singing to music, loudly and terribly, anxiously waiting to get out of the car.

"It's that one," I say, pointing over to the right. We pull into the driveway, and I step out, looking around. "Not much has changed, but I'm not sure who's car that is in the drive way," I mumble, eyeing the newer, red, Toyota, parked in the spot where my dad's old truck use to be.

"Maybe your dad got a new car," Damian suggests.

I nod. "Maybe, but I don't know how he could afford that."

I wait for Damian and Noah to catch up with me as I stand on the door step. Damian stands to my left. "You can do this. It'll be alright," he says, squeezing my shoulder.