16. Everything

Song: Hearts Don't Break Around Here by Ed Sheeran

"Cole is talking to Kade now," I say, walking over to Noah, who sits in one of the green, waiting room, chairs.

He nods. "Good. He's telling him about Jess?"

"Yea," I reply quietly, staring down at my hands.

It's quiet for a moment, until Noah draws in a deep breath. When he exhales, he glances over to me. "Do you wanna go take a drive?"

I grit my teeth, nervously, and then find his gaze and nod. Why am I so nervous to be alone with him right now? Is it because I know that once there is no one else around, we will have to talk? What is he going to want to talk about?

I follow Noah out to his car. He opens the door for me, and I slide in. Once he starts the vehicle up, we are on the road in seconds. "Anywhere in particular you want to go?" I ask, staring straight ahead.

"No," he replies, quietly. "I'm happy wherever you are."

My cheeks begin to warm at his words. "Can we find somewhere to park?" I ask, finally glancing over to him.

He nods. "Sure."

We drive a couple more miles down the road in silence, until Noah pulls the car over at an overlook. We both step out of the car, and I plop down beside him in the cool grass. Moments pass. I gaze up at the sky, zoning out on every single tiny star, and a smile crosses my face.

"You are so beautiful," Noah murmurs.

I look over to see his eyes focused not on the night sky, but on me instead. With a breathy nervous laugh, I shake my head. "I'm getting huge, and I've been living at a hospital for the last two weeks. I'm a mess."

I watch Noah as she studies me for a moment with a thoughtful expression on his face. "I wish you could see yourself the way I see you- strong, sexy, brave, funny, caring, smart. You're everything, Iris. Everything."

I feel my throat become dry as any possible response leaves my mind. I think for a few seconds, and then our eyes meet again. "Noah, I feel like we really need to talk about where this is going."

Noah's smile falls a little, and he answers with a solemn nod. "I know. I think I was just trying to enjoy these last few moments where it's just us."

My eyes close, and I drop my head, trying not to become overly-emotional. "These moments are nice," I say, speaking barely above a whisper. "I don't want to let go of them. I want more moments with you. You make the simplest times the best."

It's silent again, and then Noah sighs. "I'm sorry that I acted so weird when you told me that Jess lied about Kade being the father. I should have been happier for you. I'm sure you're probably really relieved."

My eyes open, and slowly, I glance back up to him. "I was mostly just angry that Jessica could be so childish. Why did you seem kind of-." I cut off, trying to find the right word. "Disappointed?"

He shrugs. "Kade is awake, and he's back to his old self. I'm sure that he will learn from this experience, and now that he isn't having a second baby with another woman, things for the two of you can go back to normal. As soon as you texted me that he had woke up, but couldn't even remember that you were pregnant, I began to think that you would probably leave him for me. The moment that you told me Jess's baby wasn't his, though." He lets out a soft, laugh, closing his eyes. "I knew it was over for us. I'm back to second best."

I feel my heart sink. "Why would you just assume that? Kade may be back to his old self, but just because he forgot doesn't mean I have. He can learn from this, but who is to say that this won't happen again? What makes you think that he won't just up and quit his meds again, someday?"

"But, what if being with Kade is better for Emma?" Noah asks, giving me a serious expression.

My eyes flicker down to the grass. "That's what makes this decision so hard. In a perfect world, I would be with you. In reality, though, I have my daughter to think about. I've been battling this in my mind for the past couple of weeks. Who says being with Kade is what is best for her, though?"

"She will be from a broken home," he counters.

I sigh, falling back onto the grass as I take in the night sky. "Her home won't be broken. It will just be unconventional. She will have her mom, always, and then she will have Kade, who will still be able to be involved in her life. Damian will be the craziest and best uncle, and if Lindsey continues to stay in the old house much longer with him, I'm pretty sure that Emma will have a little cousin on the way."

Noah laughs, laying down beside me. "You do not want to be in the house at night when they are both there."

My face contorts with a mock-disgust expression, and then I continue. "Sage and Cole are going to be in her life. Easton will be like a big cousin to her. Now that I have patched things up with my dad, she will have a grandpa, and then, there's you. I'm not going to ask you to be her dad. I don't want to put that responsibility on you, but Noah, you would be an amazing father-figure to Emma, if you're ready to be that for her." I roll to my side, facing Noah as I prop myself up on my elbow.

He mirrors me, and I try to make sense of the odd expression. He almost looks confused. "So," he says, hesitating. "You don't think that it would be that bad if you weren't with Kade?"

I smile. "I think that it would be healthier for Emma to see her mother in a loving and happy relationship, rather than one where I stayed with her father just because she was born." Guilt edges in the back of my mind, but I shove it away. I'm tired of feeling guilty for my decisions. Noah is who is best for Emma and I, both.

A few seconds pass, and then Noah grins. "So, are we-" He trails off, trying not to seem awkward. I giggle at how cute he is. He laughs along with me, looking away, nervously. "Are we together now?"

I gaze deeply into his bright, blue, eyes, taking in his messy, blond, hair, and his goofy grin that I have grown to love so much. My heart begins to pound faster as I lean closer to him, and just before our lips meet, I reply. "Of course, Noah. I'm yours only."

A/N: Hey, Guys!❤ Since this story will be ending soon, I thought you might want something else to read. My best friend is working on a book called "Love Begins With You." It's really sweet, and I love it so far! If you want to go check it out, then here is the link:

https://my.w.tt/jG7hAsqQyM

Thank you all so much for reading😍❤