9. The Stone Room

Song: Like I'm Gonna Lose You by Meghan Trainor (ft. John Legend)

The moment that my mother pulls the trigger is probably the most slowly lived moment of my life.

I open my mouth to scream, but before I can, I notice that there is no booming sound of gunfire. Confusion overtakes me.

Noah let's out a painful grunt as I hear a loud 'click.' He stumbles backwards a little, and I catch him, helping him fall back to the bed safely.

"Noah!" I exclaim, tears already streaming from my eyes as I nearly throw myself over him. "What the hell?"

The moment that I see the long, tranquilizer, dart sticking out of his chest, realization hits me, and not even a second later, another loud click sounds from behind me, sending a sharp pain shooting through my right butt cheek.

Noah's eye's lock to mine, and we both hold each others gazes, frozen in fear, just before his eyes slowly roll into the back of his head as he slips under. My last thoughts, as I stare down at him, are memories of us, swaying to the music in his bedroom together, the first day I spent with him. I feel my vision growing foggy and black. In the matter of a mere moment, my body slumps over Noah's and I am blacked out with him.

***

"Iris," a distant, muffled, voice calls. "Iris, wake up!"  The voice sounds like it's from far away, down a long tunnel. I feel a hand begin to pat the side of my face, lightly. "Wake up, Baby Girl. Come on."

As I begin to recognize the voice, I feel myself stir even more. I groan, slowly opening my eyes. "Noah?"

I watch as his eyes grow wide. "You're up! Finally! Are you OK? Does your head hurt? How does your belly feel? Is Emma still kicking?"

"Woeee," I groan, again, feeling dizzy. "I just woke up. Give me a second. What's with all the questions?"

Noah pulls his face away from mine a little, and he frowns. "You don't remember everything that just happened?"

I begin to shake my head to object, until memories come flooding back- my mother, my father, his letter, his warning, her bad vibe, the gun, Noah being shot, me realizing it was a tranquilizer gun, her shooting me, and then watching Noah slip under as I followed.

I gasp, and my hands automatically go to the sides of his face. I feel tears begin to fill my eyes. "Oh, God. For a second, I thought you were dead," I choke out.

He smiles down at me. "I'm alright. Just a little sore."

My hands, placed against his cheeks, begin to tremble, remembering the fear in the moment that I thought I was going to lose Noah before we ever had the chance to be. "I'm sorry," I whimper.

He shakes his head. "It's alright. We need to figure out how to get out of here, though."

I glance around the small, stone, room. The walls are made of hard, gray, rock, as well as the floors and ceiling. "Oh my God," I whisper. "Where are we?"

He shakes his head. "I don't know. I just woke up, and we were here."

I check for my phone. It's missing. "Do you have your cell?" I ask, sitting up.

I feel little flutters in my tummy, and I take a deep breath, relieved.

"No," he replies. "It was gone when I woke up, along with my pocket knife."

I grab his hand, letting him feel the tiny, soft, kicks on my stomach. "She's OK," I say, looking up to him.

He sits for a moment, feeling the gentle movements, and then a small smile spreads across his face. "I love feeling her kick," he mumbles.

I watch him for another moment, before slowly trying to stand. The world around me begins to tilt, and I can feel my head spinning. "Woe," Noah says, wrapping his arms around my waist. "I've got you. Careful."

I look up to him, and in a split second, my arms are draped around his neck, pulling his face down to mine.

It's the first kiss that we share that isn't forced or an accident, and the moment that I feel Noah's warm, full, lips begin to move in sync against mine, my heart starts pounding faster.

His hands tangle into my hair and grip my hips, as I let out a soft moan, feeling a hot wave of passion roll through my body as our chests press together.

"Oh, God," Noah groans against my lips. "I love you, Iris."

I feel my knees weaken at his words, and when he notices, he slowly lowers me back onto the bed. His lips begin to trail down my neck, and I let out another moan, louder this time, as he grips my hips, grinding himself into me.

"N-Noah," I stutter. "Let's slow down. This isn't the best time."

Noah groans, bringing his face back to mine. "I've been waiting for almost an entire year. Any moment that you want me even a fraction of as badly as I do you is a good time."

I laugh, lightly, pressing my lips to the corner of his mouth. "I promise that I'm going to want you when we get home, just as much as I do now." The smile falls from my face. "If we ever make it home."

He pulls up a bit. "We will make it home, Baby. I'm going to get us home." As he says this, he gets up from the bed, walking over to the tiny, barred, window.

"That looks familiar," I mumble, eyeing it.

Noah Scoffs. "So does this door."

I take a deep breath and then stand again, steadying myself. "There has to be some way out," I murmur. "Why would my mother do this?"

I see Noah slowly shake his head. "I don't even know," he sighs. "All I know is that you're pretty good with escape plans. You could have ran if you followed through with your plan with me."

I begin to smile, letting the idea sit on my mind for a moment. "That's it," I reply, nodding. "That's how we will do it. We have to make her believe we are happy to be here with her."