18. 95%

Song: Small Bump by Ed Sheeran

By the time that the doctor declares that I am officially in labor, Sage, Cole, Easton, Lindsey, and Damian are all in the waiting room, and Lindsey has called my father to tell him that something is wrong.

"What do you mean she is in labor?" Noah snaps at the shorter, stocky, middle-aged man. "How? She's not even full term, yet!" I don't think I have ever seen Noah lose his composure so quickly.

"Sir," the doctor says, calmly. "My best OB nurses are about to hook her up to a uterine monitor. This records the spacing and duration of contractions. We will also be monitoring the mother's heart rate, as well as the baby's. If there is anything we can do to stop this, or slow it down at least, we will. Now, are you the father or a family member?"

Noah shakes his head. "No, I'm her boyfriend."

An odd look crosses the doctor's face, and I feel my cheeks begin to redden. "Uhm," I interject awkwardly. "The father is in a room on a different floor right now. He is a patient here at the moment."

He nods. "Ah, I see. Well, just for now, Sir, I am going to need you to leave the room. We will let you know when you are able to come back."

I see Noah tense, and just before he objects, I grab his arm. He looks back over to me with worried eyes. I give him a weak smile. "Hey," I mumble. "I'll be alright. Just listen to the doctor. Go tell everyone that I'm fine for now, OK?"

A second longer, he stares at me, and then his shoulders fall as he nods. "OK, I'll be back," he whispers, just before placing a light peck on my lips. "It'll be OK."

After he leaves, the doctor grabs his clipboard and glances to me from over his squared glasses. "Alright, Hon. We are going to run some tests and swab you for a few vaginal infections. Hopefully this hasn't gone too far, and we won't be seeing this baby for a few more months."

I nod. "OK," I reply, quietly. "But, what happens if we do? Will she be-" I trail off, feeling tears spring into my eyes.

He gives me a kind smile. "Babies born at 26 weeks gestation have around a 95% survival rate. You would hopefully just be looking at a long stay in the NICU. There are many risks, but we will figure this out, OK?"

I nod, taking a deep breath as another contraction builds. Just as I let out a loud, pain-filled groan, a couple of nurses rush in with medical equipment. They hook Emma and I up to monitors, and I lay back, my mind racing. I can't tell if everything is moving way too fast or if time is dragging by, but as soon as I hear a familiar voice in the doorway, the beeping from my monitor quickens. 

"Iris," Kade says quietly as a nurse rolls him in. "Are you OK?"

"Is it alright if the father is present, Ma'am? He wouldn't stop asking until we got him up," the nurse asks. I stare at her wide-eyed for a moment and then nod, wordlessly. She rolls him over to my bed. "The doctor will be back in shortly. We are looking over some of your tests. If you feel any pressure or see any blood, press your call light immediately, OK?"

When she leaves, my eyes flicker back to Kade. Neither of us speak for a moment. We only exchanged strained stares.

"What do you want?" I whisper, barely breaking the silence.

As I speak, I see his eyes redden and his chin begins to tremble. "I was wrong," he chokes out. "I was so wrong, and I'm so sorry. You were right. I did stop caring. I-It wasn't about you or our baby, though. Some of my memories have been coming back. Iris, I never stopped caring about you. I stopped caring about myself. It was-" His voice cracks and I see his jaw flex. "It was so stupid. I don't even know what was happening in my mind when I cheated, and now I'm the reason that our baby and you are in danger. I'm so sorry."

I don't know how to respond. I don't know what to say. I don't know how to act. "K-Kade," I stutter, taken back. "Why would you do that? Why would you not care about yourself? You knew that I love you. You knew that we have a baby coming. How could you just stop caring about your life? Do you even know how important you are to Emma and I?"

As I say this, he slowly looks back up to me. "You said love."

"What?" I ask, confused.

"You said you love me," he replies, quickly. "Not loved. Do you still love me, Iris?"

My jaw drops. Did I say that? "Kade, I really can't talk about this ri-" Another contraction hits me, and I hiss in pain, drawing in a sharp breath.

Out of nowhere, Kade gives me the hand that isn't connected to a cast. "Don't break this one," he mumbles. "It's the only one I've got for a while."

I grip it, laughing through the pain. "Don't make me laugh right now, you asshole!" I groan, jokingly.

He scoffs. "I can't help it. You have the most beautiful smile I've ever seen."

The pain subsides, and I glance over to him, taking in his tired, brown eyes and crooked smile. He gives my hand a soft, supportive squeeze. "You don't have to answer now. Let's get through this first, OK? We will get through it together- All three of us."

"Miss, we have some bad news," the doctor says, rushing into the room. Kade and I both quickly look over to him. "You have an infection that is very dangerous to you and the baby. This is what caused your sac to rupture, and we are going to need to have this baby now. Her heart rate is fluctuating, and she has a better chance of survival in the NICU than being carried full-term."

"No," I whisper. "No, this isn't happening."

"We are going to have to preform an emergency c-section."

"Will I be allowed in the room?" Kade asks.

"Hospital policy says that only one person can be in the room with her," the doctor replies.

"Oh," Kade replies. I watch as his face falls.

"What?" I ask him, confused.

"We will need to move you to an operating room. In just a few minutes, we will be in here to get you. It is being prepped as quickly as possible."

"Will you be doing the surgery?" I ask him, worriedly.

He nods as he strides to the door. "Yes, Honey. I will. See you shortly."

"Press the call button, and I'll have a nurse wheel me back to my room," Kade says as soon as the doctor leaves.

"What?" I ask again. "Why? You don't want to be there when she is born?"

He looks up to me. "Of course I do, but-" I watch as he hesitates and then speaks again. "You're with Noah, now. If he is who will make you feel the most at ease during this, then I understand."

I let out a short laugh. "I'm with Noah, but you're Emma's dad. You're not going anywhere. Sorry. You're not getting out of this one that easily."

Once I am back in the operating room, reality begins to hit me again. An unsteady breath leaves my lips. Nurses rush around me as Kade sits quietly by my side, holding my hand. They are about to put me to sleep. My baby has a heartbeat right now. What if when I wake up, she doesn't? I'd never get to hear her cry. I'd never get to see her open her eyes or clench her tiny fists.

"Hey," Kade says suddenly, snapping me away from my thoughts. "She will be fine. Stop it."

"Stop what?" I reply in a shaky tone.

"Thinking bad things. I know that look you have on your face. Stop it. It's going to be OK. She's going to be alright. You may be asleep during the operation, but I'm going to be right here watching over her until you wake up, OK?"

I nod, sniffling. "Don't let anything bad happen to her," I plea, barely above a whisper.

He gives me a small smile. "I won't."

"You promise?" I ask, desperately praying that one little promise will be enough, but knowing that this situation could go either way.

He nods, stroking his thumb over my hand gently. "I promise you, Angel."