Seventeen

Raelynn took a deep breath and knocked on the door to Fairy Godmother's office.

"Come in." Fairy Godmother's voice called. Rae opened the door and closed it behind her.

"Hey Fairy Godmother..." she began nervously. "Can I talk to you, please?"

"Of course darling, have a seat." Fairy Godmother gestured to a chair in front of her desk.

"Thank you." Rae nodded, sitting down. "Uhm... I don't really know how to start this..."

"Take your time." Fairy Godmother replied.

"Well..." Rae took a breath. "Uhm... Greyson came after me... and he found me in the forest and..." she trailed off.

"Yes?"

"Well... we... kind of... almost k-kissed..." Rae admitted quietly.

"Oh... so what's the issue?" Fairy Godmother asked innocently.

"Fairy Godmother! He's the son of Mother Gothel! I'm the daughter of Rapunzel!" Rae exclaimed. "We're meant to be enemies!"

"Just because your parents were enemies doesn't mean you have to be, dear."

"Fairy Godmother... it doesn't work. It doesn't add up." Rae sighed. "I don't know what to do. I don't know what I'm feeling. It's something... I hate it. But at the same time... it feels... like, like a dream." she rested her elbows on the desk and put her head in her hands.

"Then why don't you go for it?"

"I mean, he's a VK! He's so annoying and I don't know what it is that just hits every last nerve!" Rae exclaimed. "I don't know whether it's his cockiness... but--" Rae sighed. There was a knock on the door.

"Come on in." Fairy Godmother called. The door opened to reveal a pale-faced Grey. "Greyson, what is it?" Fairy Godmother asked gently. Rae turned around and her mouth dropped open in shock.

"G-Grey..." she muttered. Grey couldn't look at her.

"I finished cleaning up the kitchen," he said in a monotone voice to Fairy Godmother. "Is there anything else I should do?"

"No, just stay in your room while all of this blows over." said Fairy Godmother calmly. Grey nodded and turned to leave. Rae stood up and grabbed Grey's wrist and followed him out.

"How much did you hear?" she asked. He looked into her eyes for a second, and for the first time in his memory, he let the hurt show through.

"I heard enough." he said, twisting out of her hold and just walking away. Rae breathed sharply and watched him.

"No..." she whispered, barely audible. A single tear rolled down her cheek. Yet, she didn't chase after him.

"Raelynn, are you ok?" Carlos came up behind her and placed his hand on her shoulder. Rae turned around and looked at Carlos for a second, and her mouth open to say 'fine', but she just fell into his arms in a fit of tears.

"Woah," Carlos remarked as Rae dropped into his arms "It's ok..."

"No it's not..." Rae breathed through her tears. It was the first time a boy had seen her ugly cry. "Carlos I'm so so sorry... I'm just so sorry... I've messed up in everything... everything."

"No you haven't," Carlos sat down on the floor with Rae in his arms. "Everything is going to be fine."

"It's all falling apart... I'm a terrible daughter... my parents should be ashamed of me... I'm no princess at all." Rae broke down even more.

"That's not true, your parents are proud of you," Carlos tried to calm her down. "And you're one of the best princesses I know."

"Carlos no I'm not. I'm the worst princess. I'm an embarrassment..." Rae shook her head, burying her face in Carlos' shoulder. He gave up on trying to console her and just let her cry it out, and hugged her back. Neither of them even noticed the black haired boy who'd come back to apologise watching them at the end of the hallway. Grey, upon seeing them hugging, turned around and left quietly.

Carlos stopped hearing Rae's sobs after around fifteen minutes of her crying.

"Rae?" he said softly. She didn't answer. "Rae?" he repeated a bit louder. He only got a sleepy whimper. The boy sighed and rearranged his arms so he could pick her up. Slowly, he rose with the princess in his arms. He was so focused on her that he didn't notice the flash behind him.

"Cecilia? It's Carlos. I have Rae..." he wasn't able to finish the sentence by the time the door to Ceci's and Rae's room burst open.

"Oh thank god," she breathed. "I was wondering where she was."

"She was hysterical, I tried calming her down, but she fell asleep." Carlos shifted slightly. "Where's her bed?" Ceci pointed to it. Carlos grunted and slowly put Rae on her bed.
"Thanks for bringing her back." Ceci said. "Do you know what happened?"

"She kept saying she was a bad daughter and disappointing her parents." Carlos explained. "I'd better go."

"Ok." Ceci nodded. "Thank you, again"

"Bye." Carlos said and left the room.