39: Tense Night

The emotions on his face mirror mine but he manages to control them better than I did. He pulls out his phone and asks the driver to bring around his car.

Several calls later, he's left one of the directors at the banquet to continue with all the reports but to hold the announcement. The rest of the directors, his lawyers and Jeremy are to meet him back at the headquarters in half an hour.

Outside the entrance is Daniel's black Mercedes but so is a black range rover.

"What's this?" I ask him.

"I had a security agency tapped after your accident in case we needed it and it turns out, we do need it." The whole night is too much for me to take so I silently get into the car as we drive towards the office.

Fifteen minutes later we're in his office. Everyone else is on their way.

"I wonder if she's okay." I say out loud facing the city skyline as a few tears slip down my cheeks.

"I won't let anything happen to her." Daniel says as he puts an arm around me and kisses my head. I feel him move and then something soft covers my shoulders. It's his coat. I pull it tighter around myself and take a seat on one of the chairs in front of his desk.

A few minutes later someone knocks on the office door and then Jeremy walks in. "Everyone's waiting in the meeting room on the first floor."

I lead the way to the elevator and we ride down to the first floor. Daniel takes my hand and leads me into the room. Everyone is already seated around the table and Daniel takes the one at the head and I sit on his left.

"There have been certain unexpected occurring's tonight." Daniel takes a deep breath then continues. "Hamish Hamlet from Alan and co. showed up. He talked to Emma and expressed quite forcefully that they will go to great lengths to keep us from announcing the Paris plan which they already know about, somehow. They have my daughter, Hazel."

My heartbeat quickens but I told onto my emotions, willing myself to stay calm.

"Your daughter?" One of the directors asks.

"They know that my family is my only weak spot and that's why they played this card." Daniel explains.

"But this goes against our contract. They're tampering with a legal agreement. We take them to court!" One of the lawyers calls out.

I hear myself whisper. "No."

"Hmm?" Daniel looks at me.

"You can't go to court. They took Hazel to stop you from doing this, can't you see?" I find it hard to fight back the tears this time. "Please don't make any such moves that could end up with her getting hurt."

"We have to act carefully." Jeremy agrees with me.

"Okay. What do we do?" Daniel asks, looking around at his colleagues.

Hey guys!

Cool Mom is back :) I will finish this story over the summer, I won't fix a day when I will update because I may post a chapter everyday, that's how eager I am to write again ;)

I hope I still have some people to share this story with! Hope you enjoy :)

-T