89: Delivery Operation

~Daniel's Perspective~

Emma is already on anesthesia as Dr. Singh prepares her for the operation which is scheduled to take place in an hour. Jeremy is keeping an eye on Hazel to make sure that she's okay. I talked to her on the phone but she still sounds shaken from yesterday's events.

I sit outside the operation theater. There's no point in me staying inside since Emma is unconscious, I'll only be in everyone else's way.

Ana comes out to tell me that it's time for the surgery and that I can come in and be with Emma any time that I want to. I thank her as she walks back inside to begin the procedure.

I'm about to follow her in when my phone starts to ring. It's Hazel's mother.

"Hello Mrs. Kensinger." I say, answering the call.

"Daniel! How's Emma?" She asks.

"She's in surgery as we speak. And hopefully, if all goes well the baby will be born within an hour." I tell her.

I hear her say a prayer on the other end of the call and then to me she says, "Please update me as soon as you have news."

"I will." I promise her and say goodbye. Then I walk into the operation theater to be with my wife.

I avoid Ana and the doctor who is aiding her in the delivery. Instead I sit down next to the bed and take Emma's hand in mine. Her eyes are closed and she's oblivious of her surroundings.

I think back to our conversation from yesterday.

I wait for Emma to get off the call with her parents as she explains the situation to them and tells them of her decision to go in for the operation. When she sets down her phone, I lean forward and rest my arms on her bed.

"We never decided a name for the baby." She whispers, looking at me.

"We have all night to discuss it." I say, taking her hand in mine.

"I actually kind of have something in mind." She says and a small smile appears on her face.

"Spill." I say, nudging her with my arm.

"Sebastian Aaron." She says, suddenly sounding shy.

"No way." I laugh.

"What?" She raises an eyebrow at me.

"Believe it or not, I was going to suggest Sebastian too." I say, kissing her hand.

"No way." She laughs.

And now I sit watching her, praying that her operation runs through smoothly. I'm still lost in thought when I hear Dr. Ana's voice followed by a small cry.