87: Relay Championship

"Congratulations Hazel!" Mia squeals, hugging Hazel when we meet at the UCLA pool.

"Thank you." Hazel beams at her and accepts a hug from Ben.

It's the day of the relay races and we're waiting for the rest of Rushmore Academy's team to arrive. Mr. Elliot suddenly hurries up to us, phone to ear.

"The last student has chicken pox and the event management are refusing to accommodate him." He tells us and then quickly finishes the call.

"One of the others will have to swim two lengths. That's what the contest protocol states." He sighs, looking at his three remaining students.

"Hazel?" He asks.

Surprisingly she shakes her head, "No. Ben or Emily."

They both starting shaking their heads at this and Ben speaks up, "Hazel please. We have to win."

"But I had my chance last week." She tells him.

We adults watch in awed silence as the children discuss amongst themselves, who should swim the extra length. I feel proud hearing that Hazel wants to give someone else a chance to shine through. But in the end the others convince her that she's the fastest so she should do it.

She huffs and turns to Daniel and me for approval. "We will happy to cheer you on for the extra length." Daniel tells her and the other parents agree with him.

Mr. Elliot tells them the final order, which is: Emily, Ben and then Hazel will swim the last two lengths. We wish the children good luck as they follow their mentor towards their entrance and we outside to the pool to find our seats.

A section of seats are reserved for Rushmore Academy parents and we settle in. I take out my sunglasses and put them on. It's only 11 a.m. but the March sun is bright and warm.

As we wait for the races to begin, I lean into Daniel and place a hand on my pregnant belly.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

I shake my head, "He just won't settle down and it's making me feel feverish and uncomfortable."

"Is there anything I can do?" He asks.

I shake my head and check the time on my phone, "There's still time. I'm going to get a Diet Coke from inside. Do you need anything?"

He declines and I ask Mia and Emily's parents the same thing before heading for the refreshments stand. I purchase myself a Diet Coke and a water bottle for Mia before heading back to my seats.

The cool drink helps settle my nausea and thankfully baby boy decides to stop moving just as the welcome announcements commence. The layout is the same as the solo races.

Hazel's team is again part of the first age cohort. Emily joins the starting line and Hazel stays on the same end of the pool as her while Ben pads to the other end and takes his place.

When the whistle blows, Emily jumps into the pool. She swims well and reaches Ben right after the first boy hands over his baton to his teammate. This puts Rushmore Academy in second place. Ben and Hazel try their best but the margin at the beginning makes them come in at second place.

We cheer for our children to boost their morale for the final race. Hazel gives me a small wave from across the pool as she sits down to wait for the other cohorts to take their turns.

When it's finally time for the last race between the winners and runner ups of each cohort, I notice that Elliot changed the order of the team. Hazel will swim the first two lengths, Emily the third and then Ben the last.