Chapter 20 - Happy Halloween

I woke up to the smell of smoke coming into my room. I kicked off my covers as I rolled off my bed. I got up half-asleep and went to investigate, I swung open my bedroom door and was met with the extreme heat of fire nipping at me. My eyes widened as I looked past the fire and saw that everyone's door was open and vacant. Adam had to be close because he rarely leaves me behind,

"Adam!" I called out as I heard the house creak unbelievably loud. A small part of me started to panic as the flames grew higher and higher, closing off my escape route down the stairs. I watched the flames closely looking for an area where I can jump across to the other side of my house. Parts of the ceiling started to crumble and fall into the fire, feeding its hunger for destruction. I backed up a bit when the fire grew hotter, bring up my arms to protect my face but brought them back down when the fire retracted its assault. I had to get out of my room and find Adam before the fire gets any bigger.

I backed up farther into my room getting enough space for a running start. I sprinted towards the flames and jumped across the inferno coming from the staircase, I hissed as the fire nipped at my bodies bare skin. I landed on the other side with a roll in the hall but it was followed by the house creaking again. I froze and crouched closer to the floor, waiting desperately for the creaking to stop. When it did stop I took one step and my body gave way.

A cloud of debris surrounded me and I couldn't see which room I was in, the cold tiles gave me the slightest clue as to where I was. My eyesight had gone blurry and My body ached. I coughed from the smoke inhalation and dust around me. I tried to get up but my leg was screaming in protest and pain, I let out a small yell as I got up.

I stood on it for a second before I limped out of the cloud of dust, I looked around but nothing was familiar to me. Everything was either in a blaze or charred black, I coughed viciously and my eyes were watering. I looked up to the ceiling and saw a giant hole... I had fallen from the second floor

"ADAM!" I called out again but started coughing uncontrollably again. Glass exploded in the living room as the flames grew towards the fresh oxygen. My eyes skimmed the living room and I saw the recognizable silhouette of Adam on one of the couches closest to the growing fire.

"ADAM!!" My voice cracked. He suddenly shot up and took in the scene around him.

"Blair!! Why the fuck aren't you outside!!!" He yelled at Me, the ceiling creaked and Adam looked up.

"Adam get over here!" I yelled as the ceiling started again, my coughing was getting worse and worse by the second. Adam got up off the couch slowly and made his way towards me, avoiding the fire as much as he could. My coughing had started to strip my throat and I felt the iron taste in my mouth. I hunched over from the coughing, Adam came up behind me to hold my hair back as I coughed up mucus and phlegm.

I leaned against him as I regained the slightest composure I could find. He suddenly swooped down and picked me up with ease. He started towards the front door, but as we found our way out of the kitchen, the chandelier fell and the crystals scattered across the floor. Adam swung me around and crouched to create a protective dome around me. He swore under his breath and looked down at me clearly concerned for my safety.

"Put me down," I mumbled, he shot me a concerned look.

"No." He said looking for a way out of the house.

"Adam. Please.... I need something and I know another way out." I said between coughs.

"Tell me which way to go." He told me and I looked around the fire.

"Go to the kitchen first... there's a picture of me and my family. The whole fami--" I didn't finish my sentence before he took me to the kitchen looking for the picture. I pointed to the house phone that had already caught fire and beside it was the metallic frame of the portrait.