Chapter 27

I zipped up my duffel bag that was lying on my hospital bed as I waited for my mom to pick me up.

I had been at this godforsaken hospital for a gruesome 3 weeks and in that time I was able to complete physiotherapy, Greta got together with my brother, Carter was let out of jail, and Adam had gone missing.

I took my phone out of the back pocket on my black jeans and dialed Adam's number.

"The number you have dialed is no longer in service. Please hang up and try again." I sighed and hung up, he was always on my mind ever since I woke up. I constantly wondered where he was and how he was doing... If he missed me or if he ever was thinking about returning for me. About a week ago I remembered what I saw and heard while I was near death which caused me to spiral more.

A knock came at my door and I turned to see my brother leaning against the doorframe. I wasn't surprised that my mother couldn't get off of work and pick me up since she was a full-time nurse at a retirement home and you know... Can't keep the grandmas waiting for their meds.

I huffed as I threw the bag over my shoulder and walked towards him. I struggled to look at my brother since he was one of the major factors to why Adam left Vista and me, Xavier reached out to touch my shoulder but I smacked his hand away from me.

"Blair, you can't overwork yourself. Not with your still healing gunshot wound." I rolled my eyes and readjusted the strap that was slipping off.

"I'm fine Xavier. Just give me the keys so I can leave." I demanded and he tossed me the keys.

I walked down the hallway with neck breaking speed and determination to get the fuck out of that place. All I wanted right now was Adam, my bed, Netflix and a bucket of KFC all to myself.

I pushed the elevator button furiously as I wanted to escape my brother's company as well as the unmistakable scent of bleach and sanitized sheets.

The elevator dinged and I shoved past the group of people getting off, I found myself pressing myself into the back corner of the metallic box, everyone around me made me suspicious... Will they hurt me? Or will they leave me be? I reached into my bag and retrieved an old, red, baseball cap that once belonged to my boyfriend but now just serves me as a reminder that no one lasts forever.

I pulled it over my hair and down to my eyebrows so that no one can see my eyes. Everyone started to file out but I waited until the others were off before exiting myself, I wandered in the garage looking for the car that my brother drove to pick me up... Which was supposed to be my Audi but I wouldn't know since I forgot to look at the logo on the remote.

I flipped the keys around in my grasp as I surveyed them for anything different, cause the last time I was in my car... Adam had the keys and hadn't given them back to me.

I heard footsteps start to follow me down the aisles and aisles of cars until I stopped to listen, but they stopped as well. I turned my head slightly and used my peripheral vision to look at who was behind me, I saw a dark, slim shadow that was trying to blend in with the trunks of the cars and it was a figure I couldn't recognize.

I quickly picked up my strides in search for my car and this was where I started to beat myself up for being a stubborn bitch. I should've let my brother at least show me where my car was before ditching him somewhere... But right now was not the time to think about what I should have done... I have to be thinking about what I should be doing now.

I looked around for my silver vehicle but as every car that I walked past... Made me feel more and more helpless. I need time... I needed a distraction.

I came closer towards one of the cars, it was an old Chevy Impala that was easy to trigger if I tried hard enough... No. I had to make this work!!

I suddenly kicked my leg out into one of the taillights causing the sirens to go off. The thick plastic cut into my ankle as I pulled my foot out, I turned and saw that the shadow had started to run faster towards me.