Chapter 21

I shot up clinging onto my bedsheets, shaking, holding back a scream. My t-shirt and sleeping shorts were sticking onto my sweaty body, my heart rate was hammering and it felt like a sledgehammer against my skin. I looked around my room... it was intact without a trace of disturbance. I peeled off my sheets off me and threw my legs over the bed, digging my feet into my fuzzy carpet.

I sprinted to my door and swung it open, almost banging it against the wall of my room. I looked down the hallway and it was perfectly fine, all the doors were closed, I tipped toed to my mother's room and opened the door a bit. She was peacefully sleeping with her blanket on the floor.

Did I dream the whole thing? I thought as I walked over and carefully picked up the blanket before throwing it over top of her and tucking her in, she stirred a bit but didn't wake up. I gave her a small kiss on the forehead before I retreated back into the hall.

I closed her door behind me as I walked downstairs into the kitchen looking for a snack. I opened the fridge and hunted around for something that looked appetizing to me, my eyes fell on the last chocolate pudding cup at the back. I retrieved it and closed the door, I jumped when I saw Adam standing behind the door. He was holding his hands behind his body.

"What the--- Adam!"

"Which hand?" He whispered and I gave him a confused look.

"What? Why?" I asked placing my hand over my heart. He rolled his eyes.

"There was only one spoon left and you took the last pudding cup. Sooooooo which hand do you choose?"

"What! I don't know what you want me to do!" I whispered

"Did your brother play this game with you? I have the thing you want in one hand and nothing in other and if you guess the right hand you get it and if you guess the wrong one I get to keep it as well as that pudding cup you're holding hostage from me... Does that sound familiar?" I thought back to the times my brother teased me and this was his favorite way to get under my skin.

"Fine." I huffed before I started my calculation. He's left-handed... So he'd be very comfortable holding it in his dominant hand but if he's trying to throw me off he'd put it in his right hand,

"We don't have all night Blair." He complained and I glared at him. He'd know that I'll guess the right hand so therefore it is in his left hand.

"Left." I blurted out happy with my prediction, he winced and whipped out his empty left hand. My jaw clenched,

"You became a victim of analysis paralysis darling. Hand over the pudding." He reached out to take it out my hand and I hissed at him.

"Over my dead body!" I whispered and I saw the corners of his mouth twitch.

"I can easily arrange that baby." His voice went low and dangerous. I groaned and handed over the chocolate snack. He grinned as he pulled out his spoon, peeling open the container. I was fuming with anger, he tricked me at the game I grew up with.

"So why are awake at this hour?" He asked me trying to make conversation. I looked down at the white tiled floor.

"I... I couldn't sleep.." I whispered lightly and then rolled my eyes.

"Well I could... but I had a nightmare... And I thought that I could snack away my bad dream." He looked up at me worried with the spoon still in his mouth. He sat down on one of the leather bar stools before he reached out to grab my hand. He pulled me onto his lap, I didn't protest and just curled up on his lap. I nuzzled his shoulder as I inhaled the calming scent of him.

"Cou--- could you possibly come sleep with me?" My voice broke slightly from the fear of being alone again. He put the spoon and empty container on the counter and rested his face on top of my head.