Chapter 6

Originally Published in 2012

Hiiii!!! Thank you for still reading! I am so grateful for the success of the story so far! It's all thanks to you guys so I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Song: Can't Escape My Love by Enrique Iglesias. (I don't particularly like his music, but his song popped into my head as I wrote the chapter. / Picture: Random mermaid swimming around

Chapter 6

What was I doing? Why in the world was I still here! I needed to get out, or swim out— whatever. Back up, on the surface it must be close to midnight. Maybe no one would notice a mermaid swimming in the streets. Wait, I couldn't go back home like this! Could mermaids even breathe above water? Fine, maybe I could just swim as far away from the castle as possible and deal with my new life on my own. No! That was a horrible idea; I can't learn to be a mermaid by myself. Maybe I can try to contact Ridge; perhaps he might know something about this. Never mind, stupid thought, mermaids are supposed to be a huge secret; one that I so happen to have stumbled on to.

After a while of going around with stupid plans and pathetic contradictions, I decided that the best thing I could do was simply leave the castle and deal with everything after. Sounded like a good plan. I slowly got up from my rock/bed and headed out the so-called door. The coast was clear; I slowly swam out of my room, trying to make as less noise and the least bubbles as possible. It was amazing how I got the hang of swimming so fast—even the gorgeous looking Danicio had commented on it earlier when he'd accompanied me to my room.  I could see the exit, now was the time to see how fast a mermaid can swim. But oddly enough, I hesitated. Yes I know it's stupid, my plan was to escape this place and yet I end up hesitating. What was there to hesitate for? Easy, I have nothing to go back to. Even if I could go find a way to be back on land, what was there to look forward to? My Dad's just going to abuse me more, my brother and I had a fight and this time it'll probably last forever, I had no job and no school to attend. Maybe when I had tried to kill myself, Lucifer simply rejected my admittance to hell and instead put me down here, because it might be better. Not that I believe in Satan or God; God took my mother away and the Devil made my life miserable. Maybe this place is just to make me more unhappy. I am so confused.

"What are you doing?" A voice said behind me.

I turned around and saw Prince Taiven. How could I not have heard him? He probably swam quietly–like me—so no one would bother him. But what was he doing here, close to the exit.

"I could ask you the same thing, your Majesty." I was careful not to sound too arrogant. King Taiven Senior had scarred me death earlier, I haven't let out a single swear since. Maybe he could get me to quit smoking. Oh wait, I'm underwater, he already did.    

Taiven sighed. "I could not sleep." He said. "I had the intention of going out for a swim, and instead stumble upon you. Why are you up and going Miss Johansson?" Why in the world does he talk like that? It gets ridiculously annoying after only one phrase. They didn't expect me to speak like that, did they?

"I'm leaving." I announced to the prince. I saw a slight smile play on his lips. Good, at least he was happy to get rid of me.

"And where would you go Tarabelle?" He asked me. He called me Tarabelle; I hate my name so much. Next time someone asks me, I'll probably change my name to Alexandra or something cheap like that; its way better then the name I have now. "Back to the surface and reveal our existence to the human world?"