ZERO

September, The Alpha

"Can we go now?" Lydia sighed dramatically, pursing her lips. They were standing in the lobby of the school at night, searching for the creature terrorizing Beacon Hills. Jackson stood beside Lydia, while Allison stood next to Scott worriedly.

Katherine held onto Stiles' coat sleeve and played with it nervously. This was't exactly how she had planned for her night to go. She looked up at her brother, then at Scott, her hands trembling.

Being in eighth grade, she had been surprised when Stiles asked her to come with him and Scott to the school to meet someone. Though she supposed it was because he knew she wouldn't stay behind anyways, because it had something to do with Scott being a werewolf.

But now, all she wanted was to go home.

Banging in the ceiling above them caused Katherine to whimper, and she gripped onto Stiles' hand. "I'm scared," she whispered, noticing the look he gave her. Stiles pulled her into his side and rubbed her back. Katherine stared up at Scott, watching as Allison laced her fingers with his.

"I shouldn't have brought you here," Stiles breathed out, rubbing his forehead. "I'm sorry."

"Do you really think I would have listened in the first place," she whispered, her puppy brown eyes looking up at the ceiling in fear.

"Run!" Scott yelled, and Katherine let out a shriek as the creature — the Alpha — fell through the ceiling tiles. Stiles pulled her along, eventually throwing her over his shoulder so she'd be able to keep up with the rest of them.

Jackson pushed the doors open to one of the many classrooms close to them, and they all immediately began finding things to block it with as Stiles set Katherine down. She looked around the classroom, and felt her heart drop into her stomach.

The entire wall closest to the parking lot was made up of windows.

"Stiles," she breathed out, tugging on his sleeve. He followed her panicked gaze, then tried to get the others attention. It didn't work until the door was completely blocked.

"Okay, nice work everyone," Stiles continued sarcastically, hugging Katherine to his chest. "But, uh, what are we going to do about the twenty foot wall of windows?"

"Can somebody please explain to me what's going on because I am freaking out here," Allison panicked, shaking Scott's arm rapidly. Katherine walked backwards until her back bumped the wall of windows, then she slid down and tuned everyone out while Stiles explained what was going on.

She was tired, scared, and unable to comprehend what was happening. Being barely thirteen, she should have just stayed home and watched movies while Scott and Stiles did what they usually did when it came to this; which was apparently breaking into the school.

She buried her face into her knees and attempted to keep her breathing steady, but as she started to cry, that proved to be impossible.

"Want to hear it in Spanish? Noh!" She heard Stiles snap. Katherine almost laughed — she would've if he didn't continue talking. "Look, Derek has killed three people already, we don't know what he's armed with."

"Your Dad is armed with an entire sheriff department!" Jackson argued. Katherine crossed her arms over her chest and watched them with wide eyes, grabbing a fistful of her shirt to avoid the others noticing her trembling hands.

Everything they said went in one ear and out the other as she stared emotionlessly across the classroom, her brown eyes wide and unblinking.

"I'm not watching my Dad get eaten alive," she heard Stiles say, and a choked sob escaped her lips. They all turned to face her, and Katherine watched as all of their angry and panicked expressions softened.