FIFTEEN

"What I want to know is why Ryan Gosling is so beautiful," Lydia voiced her opinion through a mouthful of ice cream.

Katherine nodded her head rapidly. "Agreed," she hummed. "He probably sold his soul for beauty or something."

Lydia hummed as she nodded her head.

While the others were at their PSAT's, Katherine had been dropped off at Lydia's house — with her bike — for a much needed girls day. As of now, they were sitting on Lydia's couch watching all the Nicholas Sparks movies available.

And they'd watched The Notebook three times now.

As the movie ended, Katherine let out a sigh. "We should probably do something useful," she hummed. "Maybe look into some things while we've got free time."

Her phone buzzed. Katherine sighed and pulled it out of her pocket.

Deaton: I need your help.

Katherine furrowed her brows as she typed her response.

Kat: With what?

The reply was almost immediate.

Deaton: With research. Come to the clinic.

Kat: Will do. Be there in 15 tops.

She turned her phone off and tucked it into her backpack as she stood up, stretching out her arms and legs. "Change of plans," she yawned. "Deaton needs me at the vet, so I'll be there if Stiles asks. Call me if you need anything."

"Alright," Lydia sighed. "Call me when you get there so I know you weren't kidnapped again."

Katherine rolled her eyes as she pulled Lydia in for a hug. "I don't plan on getting kidnapped again," she snorted. "My bat is coming everywhere with me from now on."

Katherine jogged out of the house and Lydia stood at the front door, watching as she climbed onto her bike and rode it home. She ran up the stairs into her brothers room, grabbed his coloured string, dropped it into her backpack — along with snacks and a drink — then biked all the way to the vet hospital.

"Deaton!" Katherine called as she pushed the door open, dragging her bike in behind her.

"In the back," Deaton yelled back.

Katherine left her bike behind the front counter before she followed the sound of his voice. "I brought a bunch of string to help me with whatever it is you — holy shit that's a werewolf," she yelped, jumping slightly when the man on the examination table snarled.

"Yes," Deaton sighed. He gestured to the older woman standing beside him. "Satomi has come to me with a problem."

Katherine blinked and stared at the man, then nodded. "Alright, what's going on." She pulled her notebook out of her bag and dug around for a pencil. Then she looked up at Satomi expectantly

"Tell her what you told me," Deaton murmured. "Katherine has one of the best minds I've ever seen. Her and her brother are absolutely brilliant."

"It starts with a fever," Satomi began her explanation, eyeing Katherine skeptically. "Then shifting becomes uncontrollable." Katherine nodded and wrote two short-hand notes. "Fangs, claws. Even full unwarranted transformations."

"Alright," Katherine mumbled, jotting more things down.

"After we moved into the woods, it progressed faster and faster," Satomi continued. Katherine eyed the black liquid oozing from the mans ears and nodded, her pencil flying across the paper. "They couldn't stand. After that was sudden blindness."