NINE

"There's a what."

Katherine's eyes flickered between Scott and Stiles as she processed what they'd just told her.

"A dead pool," Stiles repeated, folding his arms over his chest.

"And I'm on it," Scott finished with a small sigh.

Katherine blinked, her eyes now focused on Scott. "Okay," she nodded slowly. "What can I do." The two of them looked at each other in surprise. "Oh come on, seriously?" Katherine scoffed. "Someone is going around killing all the supernatural creatures in Beacon Hills and you thought I'd just sit around and let you all handle it?"

"We were hoping you would," Scott admitted. "But I didn't think so."

"Exactly," Katherine snorted, crawling off her bed to stand in front of them. "Now what can I do."

"We need to wait for Lydia to find the other two cipher keys, but until then, we need to find two people named Kathleen Bettcher and Elias Town," Stiles explained.

"Done," Katherine nodded. She turned to Stiles. "I'm going to need to borrow your lap top and look at your wall of crazy for a little bit."

"Go ahead," Stiles nodded. "Just call us if you need anything."

Katherine nodded and let out a shaky breath that he didn't catch as he walked out of the room. But Scott did. "Does Dad know?" Katherine whispered as he crouched down in front of her.

"Yeah," Scott nodded. "We told him last night. We were going to tell you then too, but we thought you should get your sleep first."

"Thanks," Katherine sighed.

"Are you scared, Kat," Scott asked quietly.

"Yeah," Katherine whispered. She did her best to hid her trembling hands and quivering bottom lip from him. "But after everything I've seen in the last couple years, I think I'm allowed to be a little scared."

"Definitely," Scott nodded in agreement. "But we won't let anything happen to you. I promise."

Katherine curled up in her bed as a tear rolled down her cheek. "But what if they come after you? Or Dad? Or even Stiles? He was possessed by a demon type thing, that's kind of supernatural." She hiccupped quietly. "What if they come after me because I know you?"

"They won't," Scott promised. "I won't let them, understand? They want to get to any of us, they go through me."

"Okay," Katherine mumbled. She scooched forwards and wrapped her arms around his middle, resting her head on his shoulder. "Thank you."

"Don't worry about it," Scott smiled. He let go of her, and helped her off her bed. "Go get ready for school, I'll give you a ride on my bike, if you want."

"I can't," Katherine sighed. "Remember the bet I made with Lydia a few weeks ago — the one about the Math teacher?"

"Yeah..."

"I lost. She's picking what I'm wearing today, and you know it's going to be something pink and frilly with a skirt."

Scott laughed quietly and nodded understandingly. "Alright," he chuckled. Katherine stood up and began digging around her room for the books she needed. "And Kat?" She spun around, as Scott walked forwards, resting his hands on her shoulders. "I swear, if you need anything — I don't even care if you think it's something stupid — if you need anything, call me and I'll be here."

"I will," Katherine promised.

Her phone dinged.

Lydia: I'm here, so get the front door open.