TWENTY

"Deputy Haigh tried to do what."

Katherine stared at Parrish with pursed lips, one hand resting on her severely bandaged stomach while the other sat on her hip.

She had her front door half-way open and was looking up at him. She'd only been home four days, but was feeling much better then she had when she was in the hospital. Melissa had given her the okay to go home after three days of non stop laying down, and Katherine almost cried when she heard the news.

She'd been bored out of her mind.

The previous day, she'd heard about what had happened to Parrish involving the dead pool. Her Dad, Stiles, and Lydia hadn't told her everything that had happened, apparently.

Just that Parrish had run off after killing Deputy Haigh.

"He tried to burn me alive in one of the police cruisers," Parrish repeated.

Katherine pinched the bridge of her nose and closed her eyes, then sighed. "Of course he did," she muttered unhappily. "What am I supposed to do about it?"

"I need to talk to someone who can help me with this," Parrish breathed, shifting his weight from one leg to another.

"I know someone who can help," Katherine shrugged. Then she frowned. "Actually, I know multiple 'someones'. I'll take you to them. You just have to do the driving."

Parrish smiled faintly out of relief, his upper body slouching. "That I can do."

•••

Katherine sat next to Scott patiently while Derek inspected Parrish's hands. Everyone she'd called was waiting for Derek to tell them what Parish was. She'd called Scott, Lydia and Stiles, but her brother was at the hospital with their Dad after he'd been shot in Haigh's attempt to kill Parrish.

She'd tried to stay with them, but Stiles didn't want her to worry. So she waited in Derek's loft with Scott next to her.

"He covered you in gasoline," Derek clarified. Parrish nodded.

"It's the hair and nails, isn't it?" Lydia asked. She'd zoned out staring at the floor, but Katherine knew her genius brain was coming up with some kind of answer. "The parts of the body that are essentially dead."

"They are?" Katherine asked, her brows furrowing. Lydia nodded, and she let out a groan. "I am so failing science this year."

Scott smiled and carefully wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his side.

"They should be gone," Derek answered Lydia's question, completely ignoring Katherine's previous comment.

Katherine's phone buzzed in her pocket, and she haistly pulled it out knowing it was her brother.

Stiles: He's doing okay. Is having surgery in the morning to get the bullet out. Otherwise everything is fine.

Katherine closed her eyes and sighed in relief, then handed Scott her phone. He let out a short breath as well, visibly relaxing.

Kat: tell him if he scares me like that again I'll shoot him myself. Keep me updated.

"I was set on fire," Parrish cut in. "All of me should be gone."

"He's right," Katherine nodded. Then she grimaced. "If that's not true then I'm definitely screwed for science."

"It's right," Lydia snorted, then refocused her attention.

"Not if you're like us," Scott murmured.

"Like you?" Parrish asked, his voice full of confusion.