NINETEEN

Personally, I feel like there's a lot of angst in this chapter (you have been warned) but please let me know what you think!
H.

~~~

Katherine awoke to a faint beeping, and her brows furrowed. When she eventually managed to open her eyes, she realized she was in a hospital room.

It looked just like the one she remembered visiting her mother in. The walls were white — along with everything else — and there was a vase of yellow and red flowers on the bedside table.

The only difference was Liam was sitting in the chair next to her, fast asleep. His mouth was slightly open while he was slouched in his seat, soft snores escaping his mouth. His head hung back on the back of the chair. Katherine couldn't help but smile.

Melissa wandered into the room, her tired expression immediately brightening when she realized Katherine was awake. "Hey, Honey," she breathed, walking up to the side of the bed to move some of Katherine's hair out of her face. "How are you feeling?"

"A little thirsty," Katherine whispered, grimacing at how sore her throat was. "But other then that I feel pretty good."

Melissa nodded and left the room, coming back moments later with a plastic white cup filled with ice water. Katherine immediately took it into her hands, taking small sips until it was empty. "Is that better?" Melissa smiled, tilting her head to the side.

"Yeah," Katherine yawned. "Much better." Then she pursed her lips. "How long was I out for?"

"Almost two days," Melissa admitted. She walked around the side of the bed and sat down, brushing more of Katherine's hair out of her face. "But you're healing nicely."

"How did I get here?" Katherine asked quietly. "I remember being on the roof, and the rest doesn't really make any sense."

"You got a mild concussion at some point," Melissa explained. "So when you can think straight, things will make sense."

"That's not answering my question, Momma McCall."

Melissa rolled her eyes and ruffled Katherine's hair. "Liam carried you down here," she mused, glancing at the boy in the chair. "He hasn't even gone home yet."

"But he has school," Katherine stated, confusion clear on her face. Melissa just smiled. Katherine frowned and looked at the wires attached to her hands, pursing her lips. "He hasn't even left to change his clothes?"

"Nope," Melissa chuckled. Then she carefully moved his arm to show the large bloodstains on his sweater. Her blood. Katherine inhaled sharply and nodded, her hands moving to rest over the bandage on her stomach. "You're lucky they weren't too deep," Melissa commented, grabbing Katherine's chart. "Saved you a lot of recovery time. You should be up an moving in a few days."

Katherine nodded slowly, then her eyes widened. "Oh my god, is Scott okay?"

"He's fine," Melissa promised, resting a hand on her shoulder. "He's with Kira and Stiles, right now. Doctor Geyer had to kick them out because they were pacing."

"Thank god," Katherine breathed. Then her brows furrowed. "Wait who's Doctor Geyer? I thought I knew everyone here."

"Liam's step-dad," Melissa winked. Katherine rolled her eyes, though she still smiled. "I'll be back with him in a second. Don't you dare fall asleep again, missy."

Katherine sucked in a sharp breath as Melissa exited the room. Those few words seemed to have triggered something in her mind, leading her to the memories of the last time she was awake.