TWENTY EIGHT

"When did you get so good!" Mason groaned, throwing his arms up in the air. Then he narrowed his eyes at Liam. "Have you been practicing? Or did you just suddenly get superhuman reflexes?"

"Or maybe you just suck, Mase," Katherine grinned over his shoulder from where she was on Liam's bed. She'd made herself comfortable after complaining she was cold, and was now cocooned in the comforter.

"No, I've been — uh — I've been practicing," Liam answered the question awkwardly, glancing over at Katherine.

"And I should be studying," Mason sighed. He set the gaming controller down onto the floor and stood up.

"Wait where are you going," Liam rushed out, his eyes widening.

"Home," Mason frowned. He tilted his head to the side. "I've got a history test tomorrow."

"One more game," Liam almost pleaded.

"You said that four games ago," Mason breathed. "Just ask Katherine, I'm sure she's up for a game or two."

"I just need to text Stiles what time he needs to pick me up," Katherine shrugged. She pulled herself upright and slid her phone from the pocket in her sweatpants. "What time do you want to kick me out?"

"I don't know," Liam mumbled. Katherine shrugged and dropped her phone onto the bed. Then his eyes widened. "Study here," he suggested. "You can stay over. Kat can too, if it's okay with her Dad."

"I'll go ask your parents then call my Dad and Stiles," Katherine nodded. She wandered down the stairs and into the living room where Doctor Geyer was on the couch, a woman — who Katherine could only assume was Liam's mother — asleep in his arms. "Would it be alright with you if I spent the night here?" Katherine asked softly, not wanting to wake her.

When she received a small smile and a nod, she went and sat on the top step. She phoned her Dad first, and smile when he answered.

"Hey, Kiddo. What's up?"

"Hey," Katherine murmured. "Would it be okay with you if I spent the night at Liam's?"

Her Dad let out a small sigh. "It would be hypocritical of me to say no because of Stiles and Malia, wouldn't it."

"Yeah that's pretty hypocritical," Katherine giggled quietly. She played with a loose strand of hair that hung by the side of her face, twirling it around her finger. "If it makes you feel any better, I can promise you that I have no intention of doing what Stiles and Malia do when they're have sleepovers. That's not even an option."

Mason walked past her and down to the front door, waving as he slid his shoes on. Katherine waved and mouthed goodbye before returning to her conversation.

"That does make me feel a bit better," her Dad sighed. "But does Liam know that?"

"I'm not with Liam that way," Katherine answered immediately, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "He's just a best friend; nothing more."

"Alright," her Dad sighed after a moment. "Just text Stiles and let him know you don't need a ride home."

"Will do," Katherine nodded.

"Parrish says hi, by the way," her Dad informed her.

Katherine smiled faintly. "Hey Jordan," she chuckled. After relaying her greeting, her Dad said goodnight and hung up.

Then Katherine sent Stiles a quick text explaining everything, and rolled her eyes at his immediate response.

Stiles: his bedroom door better stay open, young lady.

Kat: yeah I know, chill you spaz.

Kat: if Malia is staying over, the door better stay open too

Stiles: tsc.

Kat: love you.

Stiles: I love you too.

Stiles: Don't die in your sleep or anything.

Kat: It's a good thing I didn't plan on that then.

She tucked her phone into her pocket and wandered back to Liam's room, stretching out her arms and back as she went. "You heard that, I'm assuming," she yawned as she walked through his bedroom door, tucking her hands into the pockets of her sweatpants.

The guilt of killing the hunter to protect Scott still swam through her mind, but knowing she wouldn't have to fall asleep on her own was comforting.

"Yeah," Liam breathed, stumbling up from where he'd previously been sitting on the floor. "And I'm not letting you sleep on the floor, so uh, we can both fit on the bed. Put pillows in the middle and all that."

"Sounds good," Katherine nodded slowly.

They stood there awkwardly for a moment, neither of them knowing what else to say.

"Who's Jordan?" Liam asked out of nowhere, his jaw clenched slightly.

Katherine furrowed her brows. "Deputy Parrish. He works at the station with Dad, why?"

"No reason," he mumbled. "I'm going to, uh, go change," Liam mumbled awkwardly, grabbing a pile of clothes from under his pillow. "Do you want to sleep in those? Or do you want — like — shorts or something."

Katherine shrugged. "I'm usually cold at night, so I should be okay with this."

Liam nodded then left the room, leaving Katherine to her thoughts. She let out a faint sigh and pulled the elastic and bobby pins from her hair and set them down on his desk, then sat on the end of the bed.

Now that she was alone, she felt even worse about what had happened the previous night. She could still see him falling to the ground each time she closed her eyes, and knew that she wouldn't be able to fall asleep easily.

I killed someone, she thought to herself. I ended their life. Took them away from their family. I made their heart stop beating.

Katherine felt her breath catch in her throat as tears threatened to spill from her eyes. She brought her legs up to her chest and covered her mouth with her hand, the other arm wrapping around her middle. A choked sob escaped her mouth as tears rolled down her cheeks, and her whole body began to tremble.

Arms wrapped around her, pulling her into their comforting embrace. She grabbed fistfuls of Liam's shirt as she cried, and he lifted her onto his lap. He threaded his fingers through her hair and set his chin on top of her head.

The rain hitting the window was a comforting sound. He didn't try to ask her what was wrong, or tell her everything was okay. He just held her while she cried, and she was thankful she wasn't alone.