43 | How To Write a Oneshot

HELLO STUDENTS WELCOME TO SCHOOL.
Skip to the end for a notes summary...no dont please listen...

MY NAME IS MS. HOLLAND IM YOUR TEACHER.

Lol wow I got to stop... OK ITS 10PM MY DUDES.

So I really appreciate all the comments that are like "this is my fav book...your an amazing writer...please update" like tysm oh my god 😂

So anyways I want to share a few tips on writing so that you guys can write your own stories because THERES NEVER ENOUGH FANFICTION!

Ok Class is in session!

TIP 1: SPACING

Let me get this straight.

When you see a paragraph like this that is so dam long and just never ever ever ever ever ends. I have a lot to say to him as well as I have him in the back and I don't want him anymore I just guess I wanna was the way he smiled at him he was so like he didn't know that I wanna know that I love y'all so much I love ya and you have to see my face I love ya so much and I'm so sorry to hear y'all I love you so ya I love you so sweet omg is my god my lord my sister and my god my sister is my lord my sister god.
(Wow tf that's just me pressing some words...sister god tf 😂 )

ANYWAYS that ^ isn't attractive and it won't keep readers enagaged it's like reading a massive number like 13468728848h63838478384 like it's so long you didn't even read it or notice there's a letter in there.

Keep paragraphs short and simple.

Use one liners to add effect to the story.

His heart stopped

Boom you wanna keep reading so now here you are.

TIP 2: DIALOGUE

now dialogue is important because you can express the characters emotions which is like FAB.

BUT NEVER put dialogue in the middle of a sentence "like this" because that's a quote not speech.
"This is speech" and then you add a comma, "if you wish to say more" full stop.

When ever a new character speaks you need a new line. Like a script.

Tom: yo
Chris: yo
Tom: I'm British
Chris: Spill the tea then.
|
v
"Yo"
"Yo"
"I'm British"
"Spill the tea then"

Like that's way nicer then;

"Yo" "yo" "I'm British" "spill the tea then"
LIKE TF IS DAT MATE GOD?!

NOW TO THE ACTUAL ONESHOTS

TIP 3: RUSHING

I know that oneshots are ONE- SHOTS! And they are one or two chapters long but you don't EVER rush things.

I recommend writing over 900 words PER oneshot. This way you can make sure to include; plot, feelings/emotion, interaction, backstory etc...

If your two characters are let's say...kissing for the first time don't be like.

Tom leaned down and kissed Zendaya.
"I love you"
"Luv ya too dude"

LIKE MATE OH NO! If that's like a casual kiss then yeah maybe but if this is an important moment DONT RUSH! Explain how the characters feel and how character A feels compared to character B.

Do they feel the same? Is it awkward?

Same goes for all major events/ the plot.

Don't rush them. Add details. (Not too much)
I recommend you get to around 300 words before you start to really introduce the main issue.

___________________
0- 300 words: character development/ backstories/ introduction to setting.

301-600: main plot/ complication

601-900: resolution
___________________

Obviously you don't have to follow this EXACT structure but you will find it comes easily when you add things.

TIP 4: Editing/ reading over.

Not all mistakes can be avoided TRUST ME I can't spell for 💩 but that's why autocorrect is here. However you should always read through your work or if you have time, stick it in google translate and listen it back. Works like a charm lemme tell ya.

Plus it's hilarious to listen to a makeout scene read by Siri.

TIP 5: cliches

If you want to gain readers do something different.

I personally try to avoid cliches like, pregnancy, marriage, kids etc.

However if I can make it into something different and creative I will.
My first chapter was SO unrealistic but that's what oneshots are! They can be about WHATEVER YOU WANT! Just try to be original.

TIP 6: Requests

This is simple.

Listen to feedback -> take feedback -> use feedback

Your suggestions are like feedback to me because I can see what you want more of which is another way to gain readers fast; write for them.

If you have a chapter that wasn't really that successful and you have one that really skyrockets above the others then focus on writing stuff related to that.

Obviously write whatever you want but always TAKE FEEDBACK.

REBECKAHS BASIC CHECKLIST

- good plot
- details
- structure (layout)
- edit
- don't rush
- be an OG
- take feedback

Also tip: there is a diagnostics section on your story if you are on the website where you can view who is reading your story; gender age and nationality.

I use this slot so I can tailor my writing to the biggest group.

ALSO OH MY GOD UPDATE FREQUENTLY