63 | Breathe

Zendaya never really thought about death.

She knew it was coming and she knew it would happen, but she never knew what it felt like.

She hoped it was peaceful and quick like the countless movies and books she has read.
She hoped that your life does flash before your eyes so he could see all of his memories one last time.

Zendaya was receiving an award when it happened. She decided this anticipation was way worse.
Waiting for the news while she sat in her living room.

Of course, she wasn't allowed at the hospital and she didn't want to cause a buzz for other people who lost loved ones but part of her wishes she was there beside him.

Her brain kept nudging her to call.
"Call him" it spoke, poking at her feelings.
Zendaya picked up her phone and clicked on her favourite contact.

"Hi this is Tom I'm probably doing some stunt right now, leave a message" beep.

"Hi Tom it's me...I know you can't but could you call me please...I need you" Zendaya quietly sobbed when she hung up collapsing back on the couch.

The wait was killing her.

Zendaya decided to distract herself, books, movies, games anything it keep her mind off him. She changed out of her long yellow dress into one of Toms hoodies and some leggings. Zendaya took her hair down and her makeup off as she reminisced on the night she just had.

She was called up for a teen choice award when her phone started ringing. She could hear it but she kept going with her speech.

When she left the stage she found 6 missed calls from her mom, an unknown number and Deja. She called her Mom back, that's when she got the news.

"Sweetheart he's going to be ok..."
"Where is he!"
"The hospital ok but you can't visit right now they are still performing surgery"

That's the worst thing Zendaya had heard in her life. You can't visit him.

"Call me when he wakes up mom...."
"I will"

Zendaya burst into tears as she took an Uber home. Her heart basically leaping out of her chest like no feeling she'd ever known.

That's what bought her here, her couch watching YouTube.
Ring ring

Zendaya swiped her phone up from beside her and her heart jumped for joy at the name on her screen.
Tom 🌂🕸❤️💙

"Tom!"
"Hey love are you ok you sound panicked..."
"He's...I...he...."
"Woah woah shh calm down I'm already on my way to your house ok...stay on the phone with me sweetheart"

Zendaya did, she just listened to Tom calming her down and the light buzz of his car. The wait was sickening.
"Ok I'm here love"
Zendaya saw the light peaking through her windows and she heard a slight vroom of Toms Audi pull up in her driveway.

She wanted to get up and run to him but the pain of waiting was eating her inside and out, keeping her firmly on the couch.
"Love where a- hey..." Tom came through the door slowly, whispering when he saw her.

Zendaya sniffed and Tom quickened his pace, running to sit next to her.
"Hey I heard what happened...."

Without thinking Zendaya burst into tears, Tom wrapped his arms around her trying to hold back his own.
"I'm so scared..." Zendaya cried.

Tom tightened his arms around Zendayas shoulders pulling her closer to him.
"Breathe Zendaya..." he reminded her as she took deep shaky breaths against his chest, "breathe..."

No average human need to be reminded to breath, this was different. When tears overtake your face and sadness overtakes your mind, breathing is the last thing you think about.

"What if he's..."
"No sweetheart he will be ok I know it..."
"How do you know..."

Tom pulled away sightly and stared down into Zendayas tears eyes, wiping tears away slowly.
"A few years ago Tessa was hit by a car...she pulled through...he will as well"

Zendaya sobbed against Toms chest, her eyes wondered up the wall to the marble clock, 4:36...the surgery was supposed to end at 4:15.

"My mom said she was going to call me with any news..." Zendaya whispered checking the time once more on her phone.
"What happened love?" Tom rested his forehead on top of Zendayas head softly kissing her hair.

"He was hit by a car..." Zendaya whispered softly before screaming out again, "it was a hit an run tom, they just left him!" Zendaya screamed.

Tom started crying too, he leant back on the couch holding Zendaya to his chest. They sat there in silence for a bit until the piercing noise of Zendayas ringtone interrupted them.

She swiped the phone and stood up. Tom watched, his vision slightly blurred with tears.
"Mom...is he ok...please tell me he's...no...no no no mom no! NO!" Zendaya screamed and collapsed to the floor.

Tom leapt up and grabbed her waist before she fell completely. He cradled her broken body as she pulled at his shirt with her fists.
It was painful to see her like this.

All he could do was embrace her and let the torrent of her tears to soak through his shirt. He could feel her clench her fists, not knowing whether to be mad or to give up hope all together.

Tom could hear her silently screaming, suffocating with each breath she took holding onto her pride. He ran his fingers through her hair, time and time again, in an attempt to calm the silent war within her mind.

Tom cried into Zendayas hair as she screamed and howled into his shirt.
Occasionally he heard a muffled "no!" or "why!" as she stayed trapped in his arms shaking.

Tom moved, resting his cheek on Zendayas head holding her shoulders against his chest as his own tears blended with hers.
"Zendaya breathe..."

"I can't it hurts Tom it hurts!" Zendaya screamed louder, "hes gone...he's dead...d..."
Zendaya screamed again.
"Princess please breathe..." Tom cried, he was worried now, about her, the state she was in showed how heart broken she was.

"Zendaya..." Tom whispered rubbing her back. She screamed and howled bashing her fists against Toms chest and the carpet below them. Tom sat still keeping her close no matter how many punches she took.

Zendaya eventually collapsed and wrapped her arms around Toms neck. Still struggling to breathe between each scream that she let out into Toms shoulder. She took a deep breath before screaming one last time.

"Darnell!"