Part 15: Propinquity

|| Propinquity

          |||| the property of being close together

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

My heart beats faster when I heard Butler Kang's words. His eyes pierced into mine, hard for me to look away. I loosen my arms that circle around him.

".. Daniel, I think I have to see Baejin now." I try to break the awkwardness.

His hands hold my arms, not letting them go. "Tonight.. If you are free, let's go to watch some movies together in the TV room." He states.

I nod with nervous feelings. I walk away from the washroom as he finally lets my hands my go. I head to Baejin's bedroom to look at his condition but he is not there anymore. I take a look around his room, whether he is in the bathroom or changing his clothes. Unfortunately, he's nowhere to be found.

"Baejin... Where are you? Don't make me worried." I bite my nails, panicked.

I run downstairs to the kitchen and there he is together with Daehwi. They are joking around together for the first time. I freeze as I can't understand what is happening right now. He suddenly saw me with a smile on his face but it turns to a worried face.

"My Kyung... What's wrong? Are you crying just now?" Baejin asks while cupping my face, taking a closer look at my face.

"It's just some bags of dust entered my eyes just now. It's itchy.." I lied.

"You should be careful. Let me blow it for you." He cups my face, examining my eyes as he comes closer.

"I'm fine, Baejin.. No need to.."

I pause when he kisses one of my eyes. He continues with the other eye and right on my lip at the end. "Hope that your eyes will heal faster with my kisses." He smiles.

"They will.. So, what kind of game you want to play today?" I ask, granting his wish to play with me.

He brings me towards the table showing a few boxes of board games that he played with Daehwi for a while. He sits me down next to him, choosing which games he wants to play next.

"How about this card game? I love them as they're colourful." He giggles like a kid.

I nod, smiling as I'm fine with his decision. I just take a look at Baejin who is distributing the cards to Daehwi and me in a happy mood. Why don't I feel excited at all although Baejin is smiling?

Baejin taps on my hand all of sudden, gesturing to me that it's my turn to show one of my cards. I soullessly show my card to the centre of the board. I'm shocked when Daehwi suddenly squeals that I lost the game. I put the cards down in silence, watching the two of them continue playing but in reality, my mind is not focusing on their games.

"... Kyung? Gwaenchana? You look like you're worried about something. Even when we are playing the game, you looked like you're not enjoying it. Tell me what's wrong. I'm afraid that you will be like this forever if you can't find a solution to solve the problem." Baejin asks me all of a sudden when Daehwi walks to the fridge to drink a glass of orange juice.

I don't know how to explain it to Baejin as the person that I want to see right now is someone who is himself but in other personality. I stay in silence, shaking my head while smiling to make him not worried about me. But my actions turn him to approaching me more closer until I fall on the ground, gulping down my nervous saliva down my throat.

"What are you doing, Baejin?" Butler Kang's voice finally stops Baejin from continuing to approach me. "Can't you see that she is in fear?"

Baejin stands in front of Butler Kang with a deep glare. "I'm not hurting her like how you did to her a few days ago. I just want her worries to fade away, is it wrong? She likes me more than you, hyung." He speaks up bravely.

I'm shocked as I heard his last words. Butler Kang's face already turns to face me with a concerned look. "Erin never said something like that! Don't make up a story! Can't you see that she is unhappy because of your presence?!" He tugs on Baejin's collar, attempting to punch him but be able to control his anger and let the small-faced boy down.

"Stop fighting both of you! Please don't worsen my problem!" I screamed in stress condition. "I can solve my problem alone... So, don't ask me the same thing again! Am I okay? What happened? I'm tired to hear those questions again!" I continue, wailing with my eyes pooling in tears.

I run to the garden that I love to go to while crying really badly. The full moon is the only one who accompanies me outside. I take out my phone, looking at the picture of my wallpaper - my 'not so true' parents. I quickly change it to the default background, deleting all the pictures of them in the phone's gallery.

"Why there's no one that could console me in a proper way?! I killed someone already! How could I'm not worried about it?!" I scream out loudly.

"... Whom that you killed?" A voice answers my questions back with another question.

I'm shaking as I turned around. Baejin looks at me with a confused looked, asking me the question again. I choked on my own saliva, answering him with a short 'nothing' word. I walk away from him but he catches my hand right away. "Is it... Is it Bae Jinyoung?" He asks.

How do I want to explain this thing to him? Someone, please help me...

T B C