(3) The Makeover; Part 1

Hey y'all! Welcome to the next chapter! I've been looking forward to writing this because I'm so happy about it! Let me know what you think.

—————————————————————————

Makennah woke up the next morning in the twilight zone. Sunlight filtered through the thin curtains and splashed on her bed. The warmth of the sun heated Makennah down to her bones. She sighed and furrowed into the sheets, pulling the comforter up to her nose.

The unfamiliar scent of clean detergent on her sheets awoke her senses to the fact that she was not in her bed in her home in her neighborhood. Her eyes popped open and she looked around, confused. All at once, she remembered what happened the previous night in the Sinclair household. She met Carolynn, Will, Matt, Nick, Josh, and Jonah. She ate ice cream in their kitchen while the boys explained a little bit of their life in the Sinclair household.

Even though she would have rather slept for at least an hour or two more, Makennah begrudgingly rolled over and checked the time.

It was twelve in the afternoon! She had never slept so late. Throwing back the covers, Makennah stumbled to the bathroom and brushed her teeth in a hurry. She wondered why Carolynn had never checked on her. She seemed the type.

Dressing in high waisted shorts and a casual white t-shirt, she located her flip flops in the bottom of her bag and hurried down the stairs.

The rest of the house was too quiet for her taste. She recalled that the boys were doing their own thing that day. Maybe she was home alone.

Makennah couldn't believe that though. No new family left their new foster kid at home alone. They probably thought she would steal something, snoop in their business, or run away.

In the kitchen, Makennah spied a note on the island countertop. "Good morning! I had a hair appointment and the boys are out and about. I should be home at 3. Make yourself at home. There's frozen waffles in the freezer and syrup in the pantry." It was signed from Carolynn.

Considering it was a Friday, she assumed that Will was at work...wherever that was. Maybe Jonah was home? But she wouldn't go looking for him. Instead, Makennah freely located the waffles, popped two in the toaster, and found her way into the pantry to retrieve the aforementioned syrup.

When the first delicious bite of a real meal hit her tongue, Makennah almost moaned in delight. Her stomach growled from the second she woke up. She needed more food to sustain herself and she knew it.

"Good morning!"

Makennah screamed and dropped her fork. Syrup splatter on her toes. "Oh my God!"

Matt laughed. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you."

Swallowing her bite roughly, Makennah retrieved her cork from the ground, dropped it in the sink, and got a new one from the drawer.

Matt walked over to the sink and wetted a paper towel which he handed to her to wipe the syrup off her feet.

"Thanks," she said meekly. She just wanted to enjoy her breakfast in privacy.

"So what are you doing today?"

She shrugged. Probably watching Netflix. It's not like she had any friends.

"I'm going shopping. Do you want to come?" Matt asked.

Glancing at him, she tried to figure out if he was joking. Obviously, she didn't have any money but she wasn't going to say that. Plus, she barely knew Matt. She thought the entire encounter would be rather awkward for the both of them. It's not like she wanted to get to know anyone.

"No thank you."

"Oh come on. No one is home. You don't want to be here all by yourself. It's a really nice mall. It's just gonna be me and my friend Theo."

Great, another male she would have to avoid. Definitely a hard pass on the shopping excursion invitation.

Sensing her hesitation, Matt asked, "can I ask you an honest question and you won't get mad?"

She squinted her eyes. That was weird. "I guess."

"What kind of school did you go to before? I mean what was the dress code like? Did you have uniforms?"

She snickered. "Not exactly." More like, as long as your nipples weren't showing, you were good.

"Okay well....I'm NOT saying you have bad style and I'm NOT saying you're not good enough. But the girls at school can be straight up bitches." She laughed a little while she munched on her waffle. "They're catty and mean. No one can live up to their standard unless you look like them, act like them, talk like them. Basically, you have to look rich. Or you'll be an outcast. Without being really awkward, I'd like to say that you're beautiful and I mean that in an entirely non flirtatious way. I just really want you to fit in. I don't want to have to beat anyone up for making fun of you."

Her eyebrows raised as it dawned on her. She understood what he wasn't saying. Makennah was a girl from the hood. And she was about to be thrown into a pack of rich wolves.

When Makennah didn't respond, Matt continued. "Some of these girls wear things like Gucci, Prada, and Chanel. They have more money than any of us could ever wish to have. Mom and dad obviously don't bug us those kinds of things. But they do give us money every summer to go school shopping. You're included in that. I've got the credit card." Grinning from ear to ear, Matt reached into his back pocket and withdrew a shiny credit card which he waved in your fast. "Mom asked me to take you since she's busy today."

Her heart beat a little faster at the prospect of walking into a school full of those creatures. She was sure she was blushing. She didn't want Matt or anyone to be right about her, but she knew instantly that she wasn't going to fit in with her current wardrobe.

"I'm sorry I'm not trying to be mean. What you're wearing now is great. Not kidding. But the unofficial dress code is pretty nice at school. You can go through my Instagram and check out the girls at school, see what they're wearing. I'll show you all of their accounts. Even if I'm totally pissing you off right now, you should at least go shopping for yourself. Buy whatever you want. It's always nice to show up to school not he first day in something new."

Finishing off her waffles, Makennah rinsed off the plate and contemplated his words. Even though Makennah never had much money, she had a Pinterest board full of ideas of outfits she would like to own someday. Maybe this was her opportunity. She didn't doubt that the Sinclair's would take all the clothes back once Makennah left. But maybe she could live in the moment and go along with the flow. If Matt said he had the credit card, maybe she should believe him. She could always text Carolynn and ask for clarification so she didn't get in trouble.

"Alright, let's go."
———————————-

What do you think? 😊 part 2 coming in a few days! Pleaseee leave a comments and vote, vote, vote!

Xoxo

W. Carolina