(35) Bruises

Game day.

The most annoyingly nerve racking and simultaneously thrilling day of the week. Or sometimes days. This week they happened to have two scheduled games - one on Tuesday (today) and one on Thursday.

But no one was worried about the Thursday game. A natural expected win by all means.

However, Makennah learned that the Tuesday game against the Greenville Lady Lions was the biggest most important game of the season. For ten consecutive years, the Lions beat the Wolverines and normally went all the way to the championship game.

Until last year. When the Wolverines took home a win and killed the decade long streak of losses.

Because of their previous win in 2017, a lot of pressure rested on their shoulders to beat the Lions.

Makennah also learned that the Wolverines hated the Lions just about as much as the Lions loathed the Wolverines.

Unfortunately, Makennah was there to add some more unadulterated madness to the mix.

"Bring it in, ladies!" The soccer captain yelled, holding out her arms to wrap in the circle. All of the girls interlinked arms and swayed back and forth in a circle as they chanted their song which they always did before every game. "Alright, big game. We can do  this! Any parting words?" The captain asked.

Makennah hesitatingly cleared her throat. "Um..."

"Spit it out, Thomas," Bree snickered, elbowing her in the side.

"I know they hate you guys but they hate me more! Okay let's go!" She darted away from the group but was snatched back by a hand in her jersey collar.

"Explain, Thomas," Bree muttered. The rest of the team stared at her with expectant eyes.

"One of the girls on their team is my ex boyfriend's new girlfriend. She hates me. And they all hate me too." Maisie Green. The spawn of Satan. A true match for her ex boyfriend.

The worst thing was that she looked like an angel. Golden hair, blue eyes, straight white teeth and perfectly plump pink lips. Annoyingly, her body perfectly matched her beautiful porcelain face with amazing proportions and full curves that weren't too sumptuous.

If only the black crusty soul underneath was able to be seen from the outside. 

The captain clapped her hands once and everyone stopped staring at Makennah.

"Alright if they all hate you, then we hate all of them. We stand together as a team! Let's go!" The captain threw her hand in the center and everyone else followed suit. "Go Wolverines!"

The broke apart and jogged to their respective positions. Finally, Makennah was starting as a mid instead of being subbed in later.

Makennah liked to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they wouldn't play dirty.

The game started.

Her hopes were crushed.

By the end of the first half, Makennah was bopped in the mouth twice, elbowed in the ribs five times, kicked in the chins, and shoved out of the way. Her ponytail was askew on her head from all of the tugs and running.

Worst of all, Makennah was distracted because she spotted Theo in the crowd along with every single Sinclair.

The score was tied, and her intestines kind of felt the same way.

At the start of the second half, Coach Hanes put Makennah in as a mid and yelled at her to make some shots. She took that literally and prepared herself to kick the intensity up to ten.