(44) What Happened Didn't Happen

*MATURE CONTENT WARNING* Violence, language, etc.

If you are sensitive to this content and find it a trigger, this chapter should be skipped.

Thanks to everyone and happy reading.

————————————————————
M- going to the movies. We'll pick you up after work

That text from Matt urged Makennah to work faster through her side work to clean the restaurant so that she could leave sooner. She hadn't been to the movies in ages. Not only that, but she also was reminded how lucky she was to have he Sinclair brothers who invited her places and didn't do it out of obligation.

All of her tables had left and she just had to wait for the manager to cash her out. She was on the phone with an upset customer so Makennah decided to take the trash out. The waitresses weren't supposed to take the trash out because the dumpster was about twenty yards away in the dark. For safety purposes, the male kitchen workers usually disposed of the trash. However, Makennah was tired of waiting.

She untied her apron and laid it aside while she shrugged into her jean jacket with the fur collar. Dragging the huge trash bag out behind her, Makennah made her way to the dumpster as quickly as possible. Her phone buzzed with another couple of text messages but she ignored it to get the job done faster.

In the back parking lot, she weaved through two or three cars parked near the dumpster and launched the trash bag over the side. Even though her hands were clean, she instinctively brushed her hands off on her jeans.

When Makennah spun around, she froze. And came face to face with the devil.

Lucas.

The fear that spiked through her chest paralyzed her. She tried to remember the last time she ever saw Lucas but couldn't. She knew that her brain suppressed that memory. The only thing she could recall was crying the entire way home and bandaging up her head before downing a couple Advil and passing out in her bed.

"Makennah. I've been trying to reach you."

His voice sounded like silk. Smooth to the touch. Silky under your fingers. Soothing and comforting. It sounded like a deep romantic voice on the radio. It was one of his qualities that the ladies tended to enjoy about him.

"L-Lucas. What are you doing here?" She couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that he was standing in front of her after she had done everything possible to rid him from her life entirely.

As Lucas tilted his head back to look down his nose at her, the hood around his head fell down his back exposing the shocks of dark hair that matched the scruff on his face. Not scruff exactly. More like a shadow. An attractive shadow.

Maybe that's what annoyed her most about Lucas. The evil darkness that plagued his soul lurked so far beneath the surface of his charming and attractive features that one couldn't detect the abusive tendencies for weeks...even months.

"As I said, I've been trying to get ahold of you," he repeated in that tone of voice she hated. He spoke to her like that when she asked 'obvious' questions according to his standards. When it sounded like he was probably angry but she couldn't really tell...well that's how she knew that they were close to an explosion.

"Why?" She asked calmly despite the storm raging inside of her. Her fight or flight senses kicked in and everything was screaming at her to run. Flee.

Lucas cleared his throat and took a step closer to her. She backed away and he smirked. "Maisie has been asking questions about you. Wondering why we broke up and what happened between us. What did you tell her?"