(16) Matchmaker

"Makennah Thomas, you're needed in the office."

Ears perking up at the sound of her name, Makennah lifted her head from the notes she was taking in history class.

"You're dismissed, Makennah," Mr. Timmons said, waving his hand and motioning for Makennah to leave so that he could return to teaching his class.

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Not because she was requested in the office. But because it was Theo doing the requesting.

In the hallway after the door closed behind her, Makennah crossed her arms over her chest. "What's going on?"

"We have some spying to do," Theo whispered in the dead hallway. Whispering, she wasn't sure why. Not a soul in sight.

"I'm not needed in the office?" She asked.

"Definitely not. We'll get you back before the period ends." Theo cupped her elbow and whisked her down the hallway, leading her on paths she had never travelled before.

"How is this even happening? I'm so confused." Once again, a normal day skewed off course by Theodore Alexander Rose III.

"I'm an office aid. Since I'm a senior and met a lot of my requirements early, I have three free periods and I work for the office during that time," Theo explained, while checking behind them to ensure no one saw them or was following.

"So then....where are we going?" Theo guided her around a corner and dropped his hand from her elbow, trusting that she would follow. Which she did.

Theo shoved one hand through his hair and ruffled the slightly wavy ends of his hair which were getting a little long since the first time she met him. She kind of like it though. His mussed hair aged him a little, made him look kind of manly and rough.

"I saw Cassandra sneak out of class and head this way. The assistant coach has his free period right now. I checked his schedule."

Her heart rate spiked at this information. The possibility of catching Cassandra in the act sounded pretty darn good right about now considering all of the sneaking around that had occurred without fruition of evidence.

"You think...?" She started but couldn't finish. She worked her legs harder to keep up with Theo's quick pace.

"Oh yeah." Turning his head, he smirked down at her but kept his pace. "Today is the day, baby."

"Where do you think she went?" Suddenly, Makennah was whispering too.

"I was thinking we should check the theatre again. Might be a common meeting place," Theo suggested.

Their steps slowed considerably when they neared the main entrance to the theatre which had one door propped open like always. Inside, darkness swathed the theatre and concealed the rows of seats that declined to the theatre stage. She eyed Theo and waited for his next move.

What if she was inside? What would they do?

"Do you have your phone in case she's in there?" Makennah asked, peeking over at Theo who leaned against the wall beside her.

"Yes, ma'am, now peek inside." Pointing to the open door, he nudged Makennah forward and patiently waited behind her in the hallway.

"I don't think they're in there. Last time," Makennah gulped. "They were a little...noisy."

With keen interest, Theo raised his eyebrows. "Cassandra? A freak? Didn't see that coming."

Makennah shot him a look and eased forward. "Not like that. They were just...getting it on, ya know," she whispered.