(17) Blast from the Past

On Thursday and Friday, Braxton High hosted some fancy teacher convention which provided two days off for the students. Makennah had every intention of sleeping in until noon then doing some homework with Grace in the afternoon before soccer practice.

However, Makennah received a blast from the past when an unknown number texted her at three in the morning and woke her up from the sound of the notification.

Unknown- Makennah?

M- who is this?

Unknown- this is Lucas. Please don't block me

Dread drenched Makennah in a cold sweat at three in the morning. She tossed her phone on the other side of the bed and covered her face with her hands. This was not happening.

L- please talk to me

L- I miss you

L- I'm sorry for everything

Under normal circumstances, she might have responded because the chances were much higher that she might run into her ex boyfriend Lucas Sarentelli. A hot headed loud mouth Italian with a family so charming that Makennah fell in love instantly - with the family and with Lucas. Come to find out, he was as mentally and emotionally abusive as he could be physically abusive. For months, he resisted ever putting his hands on her. But a childish boy with no personal boundaries and a mind focused solely on getting his way was bound to physically restrain Makennah eventually when she didn't obey.

Now that she lived several cities away and would probably - all prayers to heaven - never have to see him again or play nice for the sake of self-preservation she ignored him entirely. At four am, she was tired of hearing her phone go off so she blocked his number and buried the phone underneath the covers.

For two more hours she tossed and turned until she gave up entirely and knew she wasn't about to get anymore shut eye.

How absolutely annoying it was that one person could ruin her entire day before it even started.

At 6:30 am, Makennah jumped out of bed, brushed her teeth, and hooked her headphones into her phone. She changed out of her pajamas into black Nike spandex, a black Nike sports bra, and bright orange Nike running shoes. She could have been a model for a Nike add the way she repped all of their gear including a cell phone holder that strapped to her bicep to free her hands up for running.

Throwing her hair up in a ponytail, Makennah stretched in the foyer, cranked her music up loud, and hit the pavement in a fast pace as the sun rose in the sky and displayed orange, yellow, and red hues across the clouds

Memories surged through her mind, so Makennah ran faster. With every footstep, she pounded her anger into the pavement. Her goal was to eliminate her residual anger by running but instead, she seemed to grow more angry by the second.