(21) The Penny

On the way home from work when Will picked her up, Makennah watched seventeen makeup tutorials on YouTube until she found a look she thought she could master - a Smokey eye that didn't take too much effort or technique because Makennah simply wasn't skilled in that arena. Frequently Will asked her questions inquiring about girls things, trying to grasp some knowledge about all things feminine. At first, she found it kind of annoying. But then she told herself it was endearing because Will never had a girl in the family before and he was just trying to get to know her and understand her world better. If anything, she should appreciate it.

As soon as she got home, she raced upstairs and jumped in the shower to wash off the smell of lasagna and garlic bread sticks. She wrapped herself in a fluffy towel and began her beautification ritual - freaking out internally while telling herself she was a capable young woman.

An hour and a half later, Makennah loosened up with some music and felt better about her outfit choice after she texted Grace a picture. Grace then tossed her whole outfit out the door and decided on something else.

Just before they were about to leave, Makennah wrapped herself in a sweater and slipped on some flats.

Matt came to get Makennah and internally she started freaking out. Nervous butterflies took flight in her belly, and her hands started to shake. Makennah could handle herself at a party. In fact, she knew her way around a crowd, could handle her liquor pretty well, and got along with everyone no matter how drunk they were. She could think clearly in a crises even if she was tipsy and could proudly flaunt her skills if someone handed her the aux cord.

But this was different. Everything was different.

This time, it was a party of all rich kids probably in some mansion.

This time, she dressed to impress and hopefully turn heads.

This time, she didn't know everyone and wasn't sure how well she could mingle. She had no clue what the mood of the party would be.

This time, she didn't know if it would be small, big, loud, intimate, or flat out wild. Her lack of expectations is what caused her anxiety.

Matt, Nick, Josh, and Makennah sneaked out the front door together with their overnight stuff. Makennah was so nervous she tripped down the stairs and Josh caught her. They fell into the car in heaps of laughter. Her nervousness did that to her.

"Alright I gotta change. No peeking."

"Aye aye Captain." Nick saluted her jokingly and shifted in the passenger seat so that he couldn't see her.

Josh covered his eyes with his hands and Matt maintained eye contact with the road.

Swiftly, Makennah kicked off her flats and wiggled out of her jeans. She replaced the jeans with a boho-chic faded orange skirt which accented all of her curves and hugged her hips deliciously. Instead of flats, she tied on nude suede espadrilles with a low wedge. Lastly, she ditched the sweater, donned a gold necklace that hung between her cleavage, drawing the eye, and swiped on a cinnamon colored lipstick with red hues that smoked out her entire makeup look.

"Okay you can look."