(25) A Sneeze

"We can't keep doing this."

"Stop being such a goody two shoes. No one knows or cares."

For probably the fourteenth time, Makennah huffed and rested her chin in her hand, elbow propped up on her knee. She sat on an old paint can in a random closet in the back of the theater. The only light was provided by Theo's phone because Makennah's was currently hidden just outside the door in a mound of a costume with the video recording to hopefully catch Cassandra and the Coach getting it on in the theatre.

"I can't keep missing class." The otherwise silence was only broken by Makennah's complaining.

"It's your free period." Theo rolled his eyes and rested his shoulder on the door jam.

"And I have homework to do!" She whisper yelled.

Theo gave her the eye. "Do it when you get home."

"I can't. I'm staying late after practice to run some drills with the coach. We have a game tomorrow. I don't wanna be up super later doing homework."

Theo set his phone aside and leaned it against another paint can on a shelf near his shoulder so that the light shined over the closet. "Stop whining. You're acting like it's not a good thing being locked in a closet with me. You know, we could..."

"Don't even think about it," she interjected. There was no way she was letting him kiss her for the first time in a stuffy closet in the theatre. Plus, ever since her talk with Grace she officially put on hold the whole idea of a kiss until she knew more about Theo and trusted he wouldn't run away when he figured out more about her past.

Theo chuckled and peeked out of the closet briefly. "I'm telling you. One of these days this is going to work. They're gonna get all hot and bothered and sneak back here to make out like they did the first time you saw them. Then we will have proof for Matt."

"While I admire your persistence and tenacity, perhaps next time we don't have to hide in the back closet with no air conditioning or air ventilation so that when we leave we're high off old paint fumes." Makennah found an old playbill in a box on the floor scattered amongst old wooden props and fanned herself with it. However, it didn't seem to be doing much good because it only stirred up the dust and made her sneeze.

Theo sank to the floor and stretched his legs out. That particular smirk of his was driving her crazy and not in a good way. "You're kinda crabby today. It's cute."

She rolled her eyes and flicked a piece of blonde hair off her forehead. Today, some of her hair was tied back in a messy bun like how she styled it for the party. She matched her casual hair with a sleeveless black and white striped dress with a hood and converse sneakers. The warm-ish weather lasted long enough for Makennah to wear all of her skirts and shorts one last time before officially whipping out all of her jeans and leggings. It was particularly hard to fight off the urge because Carolynn surprised Makennah with an adorable pair of boyfriend jeans that fit her like a dream. She didn't recognize the brand but they felt expensive. Carolynn claimed she saw them and just couldn't let the opportunity pass up to purchase them. Makennah thought that Carolynn was enjoying having another girl in the house way too much.

"I'm not crabby," Makennah mumbled.

"You kind of are," he persisted.

"I was up late studying but I'm not crabby," she said in a tone of finality as if she wasn't discussing this anymore.

Theo tapped his fingers impatiently on his leg. "Studying for what?"

"Trig. Test today."

"How do you think you did?"