(13) Tigers and Wolverines

Makennah walked into 133 on Main pretty cautious and wary of the interview Theo had apparently set up for her. However, management was expecting her promptly at 7 pm like he said. At 7:11 pm, she walked out the front doors with a brand new job and a handful of paperwork that she needed to complete ASAP.

Paperwork was a little difficult as a foster child. However, Makennah had been down this road before and knew pretty well what she needed to do. She memorized all of her parents legal information so that she never had to ask them for it.

The Sinclair family celebrated her accomplishment with homemade chocolate cake which morphed into an icing fight between Carolynn, Josh, and Jonah. They tried to rope her and Matt into it, but she expertly evaded their efforts by escaping to her room for a night in or trig homework.

She walked into school Tuesday morning on a high. She was dedicated to the cause of spying on Cassandra to obtain evidence. She got a new job. She had a decent group of friends. She was working on a plan to get Nick and Meredith together. Last but not least, it was the first game of the season.

"Hey girl," Reagan, a copped hair button-nose power house, sidled up to Makennah as they carried their Nike duffel bags to the girl's locker rooms off the soccer field. "Ready for the first game?"

"Sure," she said.

Reagan was one of the first girls on the team to approach Makennah and attempt to make small y'all on the second day of practice. They were instructed to pick a teammate and run a drill together. Without hesitation, Reagan chose Makennah and saved her from any awkwardness of being forced to find the only other player without a partner.

Lightly, she elbowed Makennah in the side. "You don't sound too excited."

"I am! I promise!"

"Yeah?" Reagan inspected her face a little closer so Makennah smiled wider. "You don't look like it."

"I'm a little nervous." Very nervous was more like it.

"Whys that?"

"First game of the season. Everyone wants to win. No one knows how I actually okay in a game. I doubt I'll even touch the field."

"Honestly," Reagan flipped her hair out of her eyes. Makennah knew she was about to hit her with some truth. "I wouldn't be surprised if you don't play at all either. We're going up against a tough team. We kind of have a rivalry. Last year, we beat them for the first time after five years. Obviously, we want to keep the streak going so...."

Makennah chuckled softly. She appreciated Reagan's candidness. "It's okay, seriously. I'm not upset that I won't play. I'm excited to see you all on the field though! I've never seen you guys officially play."

"I really love the team," Reagan explained. "I'm excited too. I love soccer with all my heart. And we're lucky to have such an amazing team that works so well together. Our team work is really good."

"I've noticed." Makennah entered the locker room and chose a free locker. Reagan chose one close to her. "I admire it, and I'm excited to be a part of it." She smiled genuinely at Reagan. She didn't know she could be so lucky to meet so many great friends right off the bat at a new school and be overall accepted by them.

Gearing up for a game on the bench, Makennah changed into her uniform for the very first time, stretched with the team to get limber, and popped a squat on the home sidelines to wait for the next hour.

Well Makennah was dead wrong.

Because six minutes into the second quarter, the Lady Wolverines were down by three and the Tigers had just scored again.